Friday, 15 August 2014

Really love your dragon feet...

My Dragon Socks are finished, on the blockers and have found their way into my heart...
I can't say I loved every minute of making them, there are a couple of errors in the stitch pattern where I was too busy watching Person Of Interest and forgot to bring the yarn forward so they probably required more concentration than I would usually like, but they were definitely worth the extra effort.  I think it is worth remembering when knitting socks that nobody will be looking that closely at your feet, they honestly won't judge.  There was no way on earth I was going to unpick five rows to put it all right and I love them no less because of a couple of flaws.  They are really going to cheer me up on cold winter mornings to come and will remind me forever of my holiday in Crete, though I managed only a few lines of them while we were there.

Last night I had a disaster when winding my most beautiful stash yarn...
Sorry about the awful picture, it was late and I was tired.  I don't know what I do wrong but whenever I try to wind one of those lovely figure of eight skeins I end up with a horrible knotty mess.  It took me hours to sort out and I ended up not getting the early night I really wanted but in the end I was victorious...
If anybody knows of a good tip for winding these I would be grateful.  I am in a quandary about this yarn.  I had originally thought I would make a Hitchiker with it.  I've tried a Hitchiker before with little success (several times actually) but this yarn would look stunning and is such beautiful Autumnal colours that I am inclined to give it another try.  Perhaps you have a suggestion about what to do with one beautiful skein of sock weight yarn?  Of course I could always make socks but I already have a plan for some of those...
Today I am linking up to a new place, Fibre Arts Friday, perhaps you would like to join us?



15 comments:

  1. The dragon socks are very cute, and the name is very adapt. When I wind yarn from a skein/hank I normally sling it over one should, I do have a yarn swift but most of the time I just can't be bothered and I find I have better control that way. Thank goodness you have it sorted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those socks! I have a swift, plus a ballwinder, so I rarely have a mess....it does happen though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a yarn swift? That will help because you can usually catch the tangles before they become said big knotty mess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great colour, very dragony. Like the stitch defination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your dragon socks!
    I need to go and check out that pattern ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your socks. I put the hank around the back of a chair and set my winder up on my table and that seems to do the trick, it does not tangle that way. But I really just like to sit on the sofa, put the yarn around my knees and make a ball of yarn, I feel like I get to now the yarn better this way.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. I invested in a swift and have wound up over 100 skeins. It's such a great investment. You can catch any tangles in the skein on the way. The socks are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your new socks!! And the autumnal yarn is GORGEOUS! I'm terrible at finding patterns for yarn, so I'll just admire yours and hope you find a lovely pattern to show it off :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! They look awesome! Well done. :-) Glad you managed to wind that yarn, how frustrating. It looks very nice now though. Personally I still do it the old fashioned way. Torture the hubby or kids by making them hold it while I wind it into a ball. haha! I have a shawl in mind but not sure how you feel about lace work? I have queued it myself just waiting to find the right yarn. I have not tried knitting a shawl before, crocheted a few but this one is very enticing...

    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ashton-shawlette

    ReplyDelete
  10. These really put a smile on my face, the colours are fabulous!!

    I often end up with a tangled mess but if you can it's easier to pull the yarn from the middle of the ball because it doesn't go off spinning in crazy directions on the floor... And I also hold the yarn quite tight before it goes through the eye

    I reckon your skein would make a nice hitchkiker, it's similar to the ravelry one in colours so why not?

    I've got a ball of sock yarn which I don't know what to do with. Maybe I will just make socks! Try searching Rav for the yarn you have and see if anyones made something other than socks with it :)

    Nicole x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi HT.. your socks are fabulous.. what a great sense of accomplishment you must feel! I made one pair of socks and they made me crazy, so I admire anyone who will do a 2nd pair.. lol! That scarf is pretty.. I can see making one. I just got back from the lake camping trip, hope you hop over and see the pix. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bright and cheerful and they really do look like dragon scales! Great job! I usually wind my yarn with the help of a swift. But certain yarns I still wind by hand to prevent stretching out the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your new yarn is beautiful. I had some winding disasters too and recently bought a swift from wool warehouse. It looks a little cheap and plasticky but its the best £16 I've spent and works a treat. I'm making a hitchhiker at the moment and loving it. I copied another raveler's idea and wrote each of the 8 pattern rows on a small card, punched a hole in the top and joined them onto a small book ring. I just flip each card over as I finish the row and it helps me keep track of where I am. Look forward to seeing what you decide to cast on :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dragon socks look awesome, I love the colours in them!

    I don't have much advice for the winding as I end up in the same boat as you quite often.

    Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dragon socks are spectacular to me, Mrs. HT! I have knit one pair of socks that I can wear, and I love the way they feel. I hope you will love yours as well. I have no hints to offer to avoid tangles...however I hope it comforts you to know you are not alone :-) xx

    ReplyDelete