Wednesday, 13 August 2014

Dragon Socks

Welcome back to Hilly Town, it's been busy here as usual!  The end of term was crazy, as will always be the case for teachers who have school aged children, and then we went straight off on our holidays to Crete. Even though we haven't been back for very long it feels like an eternity.  We have never had a family holiday like that before and it was wonderful, it reminded me again that there are all sorts of benefits to going back to work!  I will be blogging about our holiday in the next few days but Mr HT has not finished processing the photographs yet and as he took almost all of them it seems a little rude to use them before he is happy with them.

As for my crafts, they have been on the back burner a little bit of late.  I do have something to share with you though, I call them my Dragon Socks...
Is it just me that thinks the stitch looks like scales?  I found this pattern for Show Off Stranded Socks through the Yarn Harlot website, it's a free one from Ravelry and I like it a lot.  I am using my usual sock pattern and then superimposing the stitch pattern on top of it if that makes sense. The socks are gaudy as can be but as they are going to worn under boots in the winter I can't think it matters very much.  A word of warning if you decide to give this great pattern a try, I found that even my Knitpro Carbonz weren't pointy enough to lift the stitch over and had to order a set of Steel Hiya Hiya sharp steel needles to knit them on.  They are very slippery and this had caused some problems but more importantly they are hurting my hands as they have no bend to them at all.  I bought some Hiya Hiya sharp bamboo at the same time so those will be the next ones I use to give my hands a break.

One of the books I read on holiday was "Rivers of London" by Ben Aaronovitch.  It's about a policeman who discovers and becomes part of the magical underworld of London.  There are lots of interesting snippets of London history and insights in police procedure.  I have no idea how accurate these insights are but they are fun to read about.  I've already downloaded and read the second in the series which I enjoyed as well.  I am holding back from downloading the next one, they are just the sort of books I like to read over the winter so I'm saving them.  They are fun and untaxing to read but there's a small element of horror there as well which means they aren't a sort of twee adult Harry Potter thing.  They definitely get a thumbs up from me.

Today I am linking up with Ginny for the Yarn Along and Tami's WIP Wednesday, I'll be seeing what everybody else is up to later today.

Now, I wonder whether the rain will hold off this afternoon, I could really do with getting these children out of the house...

11 comments:

  1. LOVE the color way on your socks- so fresh and fun. The pattern is so pretty - really shows of the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that pattern of the socks! Weather has improved in London, but never for long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great socks!!! I just love those bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Dragon Socks look great! I love those peacock-type colours. I've bookmarked the pattern. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the socks and the name you gave them! They do look dragonish especially with those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice.The colours really pop out of the screen. Love the name and glad you all had a lovely break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This color is such a fun color! I'm going to have to add that pattern to my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the funky socks, think they are a little advanced for my basic sock knitting skills though.
    Ive read all the Ben arranovich books and think they are fab, real easy read but very addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooheee! Your socks are brought beacons of happiness! I adore them. It's so wonderful how they make use of variegated yarn. Send your rain to California. We desperately need it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those socks are so bright and cheerful. The pattern is fantastic and the colorway is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a teacher here in the States and money for travel is one thing that keeps me teaching! Although, I have to say that health insurance is an even bigger factor.

    I love the socks. That is a great pattern. I can see why you'd need the exact right needles for it.

    ReplyDelete