Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Yarning Along on WIP Wednesday

This week I have abandoned my bright striped socks.  They turned into the bane of my knitting life.  First of all I finished one, only to find that actually my cunning plan of making them a touch smaller by going down to 2 1/4 DPNs had made them too small for comfort.  This was disappointing as actually I had knitted a more or less perfect sock...
I suppose I could have given it away to somebody with smaller feet, but actually I have quite small feet anyway and might well have had trouble finding somebody.  Also, if I'm honest, I am still greedily wanting to keep my socks.
Anyway, I mostly re-knitted the sock only to find that I had messed up the heel.  I tried to unpick it but got in a muddle so, in a fit of Knitting Rage, I did this...
Fear not, I rewound the skein but really couldn't face those acidic colours any more (having already knitted virtually a pair of socks with it completely fruitlessly) and have put it in the drawer under my bed where I stash (hide from my family) my sock wools.

In the mean time I have been working on this...
Another sock but in the most soothing of colours.  This is an Opal Sock Yarn from the Little Prince range and the colour is The Geographer.  I am smitten with these colours as they remind me of the sea in Exmouth where I used to sit in a pub and consume Pints of Prawns with some of my friends.  Sadly it's true that youth is wasted on the young, I think we used to spend most of the time we sat there moaning about how hard we had to work (!!!)

As for reading, I have sped my way through the John Le Carre.  As with many of his books it starts slowly, but wow, by a third of the way through I was totally absorbed.  Beautifully written, thoughtful, perceptive, dark, and very British.  It's the story of morally bankrupt politicians and business men, civil servants caught up in their machinations, treatment of service personnel, PTSD and more.  If you like literature you have to think about then I can recommend this wholeheartedly.  It's not a light read by any means, but it's Le Carre so I had no expectation it would be.

There will be lots more books and projects to see if you pop over to Tami's and Ginny's blogs.


10 comments:

  1. Awww. So sorry you had to unravel your socks but I'm with you -- when projects start misbehaving, it's good to put them on time out, work on something else then start again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! You described that yarn just perfect! It is the "most soothing of coors"! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how your "soothing" socks are looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, occasionally suffer from knit rage and have been known to frog an entire sock or two when they didn't pass muster. Sometimes, it's a relief! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear - those socks deserve some time out for sure. But your Opal ones are so pretty! Enjoy working on them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have knit many socks, only to rip them out! Fear not, once you go back to that yarn, you will have learned something, and only the most perfect of socks will be on your feet! (Sounded a little Yoda-esque there, didn't I?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally understand how you feel, I just took a shawl off my loom and it wound up in a big heap of yarn on my table ready for the trash bin, at least you saved yours for another day. Love the new socks,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colour of your new socks they are gorgeous :). I hate it when I have to frog my knitting but I know that it is worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the bright colors of the unraveled sock. Hopefully the next attempt will go better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry the sock didn't work out for you. You'll find refreshed and renewed interest in the yarn after a good break. This new sock yarn is great.

    ReplyDelete