Wednesday, 11 June 2014

Wednesday link up

Before I start I would like to show you this beautiful double rainbow we spotted last night, we see so many rainbows from this house, it is one of its charms...
It's not a good photo but still, I just wanted to share a little happiness.

I wasn't going to post today but I'm feeling the need for a little crafty moral support.  You see my project this week has a chequered past.  Last week I trundled over to one of my favourite yarn emporiums (Bluestocking in Cainscross for any local friends) and treated myself to some really good quality wool from Rowan which I intended to turn into cushion covers.  I tormented myself with these cushion covers for a few days.  First trying to make a pattern up from a stitch dictionary, then going back to Bluestocking to exchange some of the yarn so that I was making them all in ivory, then buying a pattern for cushions and not enjoying making them, then deciding to crochet the covers instead of knit them.  Now I realise that none of this is terribly important in the scheme of things but in a moment of clarity I realised that no matter what I wasn't going to like these cushions, the colour was wrong for the sofa, the patterns weren't working and all in all I wasn't enjoying it.
Enter the Lady Marple.  I can't actually remember where I found this pattern but I've been thinking of having a go at it for some time.  I had no intention of making it in ivory originally, I had a deep red in mind, but then I spotted this project and was smitten.  Hence last night, as I vegetated in front of my current Netflix obsession (Numb3ers, seriously silly but curiously compelling) I found myself doing this...
Casting on a project which is clearly too hard for me and for which I am endlessly going to be begging for support from the blogging community to help me find tutorials and advice.  So you have been warned and I can only apologise in advance for any irritation this may cause.  I also had to return to Bluestocking for two more skeins of the yarn (Rowan Pure Wool Worsted), I think the lovely owner has now actually come to the conclusion that I am short of a marble or two.  She is not the first to reach this conclusion.

As for my book, I have never read The Little Prince and as it is the centenary of its publication and also the inspiration for my current favourite sock yarn from Opal I though I probably ought to. It is whimsical and very French, as a result it is utterly charming.

Linking with Ginny and maybe Tami if she posts today.

17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful rainbow! You are so fortunate to see them often from your house. We usually see a couple a year, and it always thrills me.

    The Lady Marple pattern looks perfect for your yarn--and I'm sure you can do it! Nothing is as hard as it looks.

    The Little Prince is one of my all-time favorite books.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment. I've "joined your site" and added you to my blog reader. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rainbows, too! Thanks for sharing your double. Good luck on your knitting project, I know you'll do fantastic. We all have to challenge ourselves to grow. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the sweater. I've never been brave enough to tackle anything that complicated. Keep us posted on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ivory is very nice! Have fun with the project. Regula

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that pattern in my queue. I'm sure you can do it! What a beautiful view! Oh the English skies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the ivory for the pattern, I think it will be lovely! I think it is important to enjoy the project you are working on, so if the cushions were working, it was smart to put them on the back burner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck, and just remember that socks are actually quite tricky to knit. If you can knit socks, then you'll probably be fine with a cardigan. Most of the techniques, like working decreases and picking up stitches, are things you'll already have plenty of practice in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, how exciting! Lady Marple is a lovely pattern and will look wonderful in ivory. Just take your time and you will be fine. Also, the mom in me is wondering if you did a gauge swatch? Because that is probably the hardest part to knitting a well fitting sweater. The rest just takes time and patience. Let me know if you have any questions. I've got a lot of videos and tutorials bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a gorgeous pattern. I hope you find it a good knit even if it does include new techniques, sometimes that is a pleasure in knitting.........

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lucky to have a house where you see double rainbows. I think your sweater is going to be wonderful, I love the color! I have a lot of shawls and my white one I wear all the time even though I love colors. A sweater always feels like such a nice accomplishments. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck - a sweater is on my to-do list but I'm still stalled at deciding on a pattern and yarn. I should just grab the bull by the horns and start like you did rather than procrastinating :) I can't wait to see how it turns out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sweater is going to be beautiful, perfect color and pattern. Love the double rainbows.

    Good luck,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great color for a cardigan. Do show how you transition from bottom up to adding sleeves. One thing terrific about Ravelry is that you'll get lots of help and good advice. Be sure to read helpful projects

    ReplyDelete
  14. FANTASTIC!!! I've just replied to your comment and then come here and see you've cast on a cardi!! Now I'm no expert but should you get stuck or need any help give me a shout :-)

    I can't check out the pattern but it looks superb, lots of different things to keep the project interesting and most importantly it will look amazing when you wear it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just saw a bit of a rainbow the other day but did not capture a beautiful image of it as you did, Harriet. Thanks for sharing. I am cheering you on with your latest project! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hard to go wrong with ivory. Love the rainbows!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are going to create an awesome cardigan. I have faith in you. :-)

    ReplyDelete