Monday, 30 December 2013

A Mega-Post of Celebration!

Well, it's been a while since I updated my blog.  I thought after my last update that things would get back to normal but somehow they didn't.  I busted my finger (it was a tendon thing called a mallet or baseball finger) and had to wear a splint for 6 weeks which meant that crochet or knitting were very difficult.  My finger still isn't completely straight and it won't ever be but the splint is off and it is nearly back to normal again so I have been able to pick up my hook.  Although this isn't just a crochet blog I feel it is the craft which keeps it chugging along so I came to a bit of a halt.  We've also had major work happening to the house with a new dining room and kitchen so my head just wasn't in the right space for blogging.  I've been having a nice day today catching up on a few blogs, not all of them by any means, and I'm hoping to get up to date on a few more over the next few days.

So, what's been happening.  Well it was B's fifth birthday...
We had a lovely party for her in our Church hall with a children's entertainer to take some of the pressure off as at that point we had no kitchen or floors (!).  I'm not sure if I even mentioned her starting school in September but she is still at the age where she wants everybody in her class to come so it was quite an event...
We went to the so called "Winter Wonderland" in Hyde Park in London.  I actually don't think we'll do London in December again but the girls liked the rides and the circus was lots of fun and made up for the rather disappointing Ice Kingdom and atmosphere...
L looks a little bit anxious in the next one, but she was fine once she got going...
Christmas was fab, we had thirteen people for Christmas lunch (lucky I'm not superstitious) and it was great fun. We've never done that for Christmas before but I feel very strongly that I want the girls to remember their childhood Christmas Days as full of family and silliness so I invited everybody way back in July.  I won't say there haven't been times where I wondered whether I was of sound mind when I did that but actually it was great, I hope they want to come again next year.  No photos of the day I'm afraid, I was just too busy, but here are some of our decorations, just for my memory...
A little shelf by the door with things the girls have made...
And a close up of the tree...
Now we are in the aftermath of Christmas and I find I have some of that precious commodity, time.  A new crochet project is underway but I may not be able to share it for a couple of weeks as it is a present and her mother might just have a look at my blog.  The girls have spent a lot of time in their pyjamas making use of their craft kits and watching far more tv than they would usually be allowed. They were absolutely exhausted at the end of term so I'm letting them go slightly feral.

If you have stuck with me all the way through this post then thank you, it was a bit of a scrapbooking update really, I think I'm ready to get back to blogging now that the house is almost there and I can make things again. I've got new yarn arriving in the next couple of days and a birthday present to make for my sister who doesn't read my blog, so that's something I will be able to share.  Maybe next time I'll have got the house in good enough order to show you some photos of the new kitchen, I'm soooo happy with it.  Enjoy this end of year time; it's really rather wonderful.

15 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back and where did you get that lovely sweater?! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for asking, it is from Next . I bet they're in the sale right about now!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back and I loved all your photos! *H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* to your daughter! I look forward to seeing the new kitchen. So sorry to hear of your finger.. not a good thing for a crafter/blogger/mother! Glad it's better. Thanks for visiting my blog.. missed you!

    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*
      *H*A*P*P*Y* *N*E*W* *Y*E*A*R*!*
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Don't know what I did there! Just wanted to say that I loved getting up to date with you and yours!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday to your little one. So glad you had a wonderful Holiday with your family.
    Hugs and Happy New Year,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to see a new post from you. I hope your finger is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is wonderful to catch up on some of your news, HillyT! I loved all the pictures and especially enjoyed seeing how beautifully, and happily the girls are growing :) Sooooo sorry your finger was hurt and I hope it rapidly and completely heals! Your house changes sound very exciting! I look forward to your future craft project reports. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking yesterday you'd been away. Hope the finger is getting better and I love the starry Christmas Tree made by the girls.
    CN x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your daughter is so beautiful. What a lovely party she must have had. Glad you're peeking in and had a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading your news. Happy birthday to your girl. Ours always had the whole class in the village hall type, completely mad with all the baking and organising but wonderful memories in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey its good to see you again! I hope that your finger will be ok, and that you don't go too crazy with the crafting :D It looks like your family are all having a lovely time, and its the time of year to let your hair down a bit and letting kids go slightly feral as you say :)

    Take care and wish you all the best for 2014!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So nice to see you back--what a whirl wind it sounds your last few months have been. I am sure you are pleased as punch to have your splint off --how dreadful not to be able to pick up needles or hook. I would be at a loss. Please do share snaps of your kitchen so I can live vicariously through you. A new kitchen is in my dreams but may never happen!
    Happy New Year wishes sent to you--
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to your beautiful B! Five is such a fun age. So happy to hear from you and catch up on the happenings. Hope the finger continues to heal and that you can get back to crocheting again. I miss seeing your beautiful projects :) Today is the last day of being lazy for me and my little guy. School and work starts up again tomorrow. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete