Thursday, 15 August 2013

I AM A SHAWL

A little while ago it dawned on me that I am now competent enough at crochet to warrant investing a little more in the yarn and keeping the cheap acrylics for blankets (which suffer a lot of abuse in my house and need to be robust).  Therefore last week I treated myself to these balls of rainbow goodness from one of my favourite wool websites, the only one I am aware of which stocks a good supply of knitpicks yarns, my current favourite of the more luxurious brands...
Never before has yarn been greeted in my house by such excitement, the girls were completely besotted by it! Fortunately they were able to help with winding it into cakes, though one of the balls did split in the process because of overzealous winding by L...
There were no knots in the skeins I received, this was a relief because knots are a pain in self striping yarns aren't they?
I started work with it that very afternoon and by the evening had got as far as this with my new shawl (from a German pattern called, um, Shawl)...
The pattern is available here as a diagram and a kind soul has translated the written instructions into English here.  It is on Ravelry here.
I love the pattern but am a little sceptical as to whether I will really wear these colours.  The whole thing is just going to scream "LOOK, THIS WOMAN IS WEARING A VERY LOUD SHAWL!"  Still, it's a lot of fun to make and really fast growing.  I think I might be able to show you the finished article before too long, it's twice as big as this now.
Have a lovely week.

16 comments:

  1. I love both the yarn and the pattern. It will look gorgeous peeping out of a coat in the colder weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This shawl is gorgeous! You will make a lot of jealous people when wearing it! The yarn is beautiful and I saved the diagram of the shawl for my to-do-one-day list ;-)
    Thank you for sharing!
    Kisses
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun and happy shawl this will be. You go w/that hook! Good for you on treating yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. picture the shawl, be the shawl (love your title)

    SO beautiful, I don't think I can wear rainbow though. should go well with your decor :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both yarn and pattern. What brilliant finds!

    (When I read your post title I immediate started singing "I am a shape" from Mr Maker! Oh what it is to be mother to toddlers!)

    xXx Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, it's ever so pretty!! And it must be great fun to crochet and watch the colours develop in the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will look lovely in this, jeans and a white t-shirt with a beautiful shawl that is a work on art. Life is too short for cheap yarn I say, glad you are buying beautiful yarn to make beautiful things with.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Hilly that looks beautiful and thank you for the link to that yarn site, I have always wanted to order knit picks yarn but never knew that it was stocked here!

    I am going to go and drool at yarn, and persuade myself not to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's brilliant, has the yarn just worked itself perfect of have you had to tweak it so the colours are in rows? Very impressive :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore the colors in that yarn and LOVE what you're doing with it!! Bravo, my friend! I think you will look divine in that fruity colored wrap. We're trying to stow away everything we took camping.. what a job! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful beautiful yarn. I love the colours and the main thing is if you like them and the shawl....so what difference does it make what people think!

    The pattern is lovely and I DO like the way you are using the colours.....very very nice!!!

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I love the colours and I definitely think you should wear it!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That yarn is incredible, i think it would look lovely as socks too. Thanks for sharing the pattern lnk xox Penny

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is unanimous! I love the yarn, the colors and your pattern...not that you need my opinion :)
    Thanks for posting. I am crocheting a cocoon for a new Grand and I put buttons on my cane coat.
    Blessings to you and yours,
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. gorgeous! great to find you! i am not far from you in worcestershire! xxxx

    ReplyDelete