Wednesday, 8 May 2013

WIP Wednesday

It is such a long time since I blogged on a weeknight or participated in a WIP Wednesday.  Life as a working mother is tough, but it's also rewarding and I'm lucky to have a job (and a better one starting in September) in these hard economic times so all things are relative I suppose.

Anyway, I am in rather a thoughtful frame of mind at the moment so I thought I would share my thinking crochet with you.  I have christened it my "I am not a Hexipuffer" project, not because I don't adore the hexipuff pattern, which is gorgeous, but because it is my way of using up sock scraps like these...
Friends who have been reading my blog for a while will have read of my knitting sister.  She is kind enough to give me her yarn scraps because she is not a scrappy sort of girl.  I have bundles of gorgeous and expensive partial balls of wool lingering in cupboards hoping for a purpose.  This particular blanket is based on Jan Eaton's Square Target pattern from her 200 Crochet Blocks book but I expect similar things would come up if you searched for solid square on Ravelry.  I've just started it and will keep going and going, possibly forever.  Sock wool is not fast to crochet in but the colours make up for the slowness of growth.  So here it is so far....
Mindless crochet for thinking to.  Brilliant.  I love seeing all these sock yarns together, many of them are from socks I recognise because she has knitted them for me, Mr HT or other members of my family.

If you would like to see some more WIPS then pop over to Tami's blog, there will be lots of lovely things to peruse.

15 comments:

  1. That's such a fab idea for using up sock yarn......of which I have plenty........sometimes we're all in need of some mindless knitting or crochet.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! :-)

    I have a scarf going right now for my mindless crocheting...I always need at least one mindless project! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty. I love sock yarn too. I have also been too busy for much blogging. So nice to hear from you. B
    XO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is perfect!!! I, too, am not a hexi-puff girl-- though not through disliking them, just through not having that sort of patience. I think I may use this idea in the future....Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember you saying about your sock knitting sister before, how wonderful to benefit in both the socks and the leftovers...great deal!

    Love your scrappy blanket, the colours are gorgeous, and it's nice to make something that hasn't got a time scale, the slow growing doesn't seem to matter then.

    I don't think I've blogged for nearly two weeks....not sure where the time has gone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to be a hexipuffer, but I just can't find the 'right' way to do them. I have a small bowl full of them on my mantel and mountains of sock yarn to make them with but I just can't find it in me to make anymore! One day maybe.....

    I love the start of your blanket, such a great idea for using up the scraps from your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea for using up colorful sock yarn! The colors are gorgeous. My hexipuffs are going on two years now with no end in sight. The important thing is that we still have fun knitting/crocheting on our stashbusting long term projects, right? I hope that you manage to find more time to blog. Your projects are always an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great way to use up leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you on the hexipuffs, I love them and think they are cute but I just can't seem to love making them...so I think what you are doing is a brilliant idea, and I look forward to seeing the spontaneous growth of this project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. its going to make for a beautiful blanket. so delicate compred to dk

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is really gorgeous how the colors melt together.
    hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. The colors are coming together so beautifully. It's going to be a wonderful blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful use of all those wonderful scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely square and an excellent strategy, but then I'm biased - I too am not a hexipuffer!

    ReplyDelete