Sunday, 7 April 2013

A quick project for a strange weekend...

It's been a funny weekend, the girls went to stay with their Grandparents for the night so Mr HT and I went to Cheltenham for shopping and lunch, watched a movie in the afternoon and then went to the pub for a couple of drinks in the evening.  I feel more rested than I would after a family holiday, just what I needed after a rather trying school holiday of illness and temper tantrums (not just from the girls either).

I found that I had a little more time than usual on my hands for crochet so decided to try out another little project just for fun.  Often these little random projects are things which I have admired but not felt in the mood to make or not really seen a purpose for once they were done.  So it was with this...
A tissue box cosy, what a truly pointless but strangely jolly item.  I saw these on one of my very favourite blogs early on in my crochet career and this weekend I decided to pick up my hook and with absolutely no thought at all about colour (which probably shows) or purpose I had a go.  I had a vague thought about saving it to cheer up some friend who gets a cold but somehow it has found a home and there I think it will stay...
Have you ever made something for no reason other than idle curiosity and then not quite known what to do with it?  I don't know why I'm so surprised really, Michelle's patterns (The Royal Sisters Blog) are always beautifully clear and the results gorgeous.  She's a crochet great, if such a thing exists.

I hope that you are finding peace and contentment this weekend.  The girls are on the way home and as the sun is shining I think a walk is on the cards for this afternoon.

14 comments:

  1. Michelle is a crochet great and if that did not exist before it does now. I love your tissue box holder, it is fun to just create for no reason at all. Glad you had a day to relax.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most things in life are just for show. Nothing wrong with that!

    I think the coloursare great. I've made one of these also, love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun, quick project that will bring a colorful zing to you every day! I guess most of the things I make are a fun experiment!! Sounds like you've been having a very nice time. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how this turned out - so cute!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want one, I think I will be making one of these...another great way to bust some stash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Love your description there. It certainly brightens up the window sill. I have a tissue box cover that my MIL made for me when we were first married. She actually made a whole set of doily like pieces out of dark pink and white yarn. While the tissue box was a work of art and has been in and out of packing many times over the years, the whole set together was a bit much. I did not have the heart to say so, so I would pull it all out and use it often when I was younger so she knew her efforts were appreciated. I think one of my girls disposed of most of it at some stage but that tissue cover still gets pulled out every now and then and plonked on the tissue box. I must take a picture of it some time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I start projects that way pretty often. I really like your tissue box, I think it's adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tissue box cover is so bright and cheerful! Such a great way to add fun to everyday items. Adding the pattern to my crochet list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. QT couple time! Super lovely. What a nice pop of cheeriness that Granny cover is for the Kleenex.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even though I have been crocheting for about 50 years [good heavens!!!] I have not been as fun loving and fearless as you and other crochet greats I have met since starting to blog a little over a year ago are. You all inspire me! I am working on a shawl that requires careful focus :) and a cotton box of single crochets that is relaxing. I tried to crochet a cat basket out of wool I had skirted, washed, carded and spun about 10 years ago. I had no pattern...and it looked like it :), but CaliKitty actually slept on/in it from time to time before she died, so it was a bit of a success.

    I like the color and pattern of your tissue box cozy. Well done, I say!
    xx,
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely and colourful and you'd definitely find the box of tissues at a glance :-) I agree with Mere at Mereknits if your expression crochet greats does not exist it does now as is going to catch on very quick ......its a fun expression.LOL1

    yes!!!! like yourself, I frequently try out patterns that I have just latched my eyes on and just have to do and then think "who am I going to give it to?" and then they get tucked away.I never see it as a waste of time though as I usually find a home for them eventually.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful project. Lovely and colourful. It's great when you have a bit of unexpected time to do theses things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made one of these too, perfectly useless but perfectly lovely :)

    ReplyDelete