Thursday, 14 February 2013

Half Term

It's been a while since I have updated my little blog, life has just been trugging along quite happily, nothing very exciting happening, no crafty projects finished to show, trug, trug, trug.

Work is fine, home is fine, children are adorable, weather is foul (though the sun is shining today), and I've been hooking away or clicking my knitty sticks rather unproductively, quite unable to stick to anything very much.

This seems to be my project of choice at the moment...
It is the Chinook Scarf I showed you ages ago and I'm enjoying it very much.  The increases are finished and I am now working the decreases.  It won't be very big because I made it in sock yarn rather than DK as the pattern recommended, but I think it will be big enough and if it isn't then one of the girls can have it.

The chinook scarf is taking precedence over a shawl which I am making, simply because this Sonata Shawl...
is suitable for the summer where the chinook scarf will not get worn this year if I don't finish it soon.  I had originally intended this yarn (Debbie Bliss Rialto Lace, utterly lovely) to make a Kornblomst Shawl but just couldn't seem to find the energy for a complicated pattern at the moment.  My mother asked for something different for her birthday (she didn't know I was making a shawl for her of course), and I more or less leapt at the chance to leave the Kornblomst for now.  I still think it is one of the most beautiful patterns I've ever seen, but I need to be at a different point in my life to make it.  Maybe in the Summer holidays when I have plenty of time and daylight.  The Sonata Shawl is very restful to work on  because it has lovely long rows to lose yourself in your thoughts.

Today we are going to a friend's house for a meeting of crafty minds.  The children will all play in the beautiful garden  (she has three alpacas!) and we will sit and chat with projects in hand.  I have missed several of our fortnightly meetings because we meet on a Friday, but as my only day off Friday tends to get very busy.  It's been a theme of this week, meeting at somebody's house and drinking tea together while the children play.  I'm so lucky to have made lovely friends since we moved to Hilly Town.

As for the girls, there has been a lot of this sort of home play going on...
I think they are really enjoying their own pursuits, certainly neither of them have complained or said they are bored.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful knitting projects. No need to feel pressure for enjoying the rhythm of the needles. It's supposed to be pleasurable. The girls certainly do look like they are having a wonderful time!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do a Friday morning mama knitting thing. All the mamas get together with our hoard of children and we knit while the kids play. You wouldn't think it would work but it seems to work out quite well...as long as you don't mind that your kid is going to go home with paint in their hair or wet pants or a face covered in food bits. We used to do it weekly but we're going to every other week now.

    Also, love the colors of yarn (and I usually don't like pinkish anything).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both projects are lovely. Can't wait to see the finished results. You are so lucky having someone to sit with and knit. I wish my friends would take up knitting or crochet and stick to it. They all seem to try a little then give up. Sigh. And believe me I have taught them all at different times. NO-one seems to find the passion I have. LOL Love and Hugs to you. Enjoy your day. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, both of your scarves are gorgeous! I began a new one today - using a blue/lavender/green colorway. I'm using the same pattern I used for my autumn colored one. Fun! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Playdoh rocks! It's such great entertainment.
    These shawl are wonderful. The interesting edges give them pop.

    ReplyDelete