Friday, 15 February 2013

FO Friday

Hello

Just making the most of being off school for half term to show you three finished objects I've completed over the last few days.  I know that they are squares towards an afghan, but as they are quite large (11 inches or so) and have their own project page on Ravelry I'm counting them as finished objects.

So, here are three squares for various Ravelry CALs I take part in...
Square One, for the 2013BAMCAL...
This is Ribs and Lace by Joyce Lewis and I loved making it, it is pretty, the instructions are clear and it lies nice and flat.  I was also happy with the way my colours went together, I love navy and pink.
Square Two, for the 2013BAMCAL...
This is the Kaleidoscope Blossom Square by Chris Simon and it to was a pleasure to make.  I always find Chris Simon's patterns very clear and concise, as usual this one worked just as she said it would and lay flat.  
Square Three, for the MMDSS
Peppermint Mocha Frappe by SmoothFox, such a pretty square and the designer has thoughtfully put a full tutorial on YouTube to help with the tricky bits.  This one does not lay as flat, but that may well be my fault, I don't know.

Why not pop over to Tami's Blog to see some more FOs on this sunny Friday?

When I put photos of my projects on the discussion boards one lady messaged me to say that the second square reminded her of the Red Hat Society colours.  I had heard of the Red Hat Society but wasn't quite sure what it was so I looked it up on wikipedia.  I was struck that it draws some of its inspiration from a poem which I have always rather liked and which I will share with you here, just in case you don't know it or, like me, haven't read it for a long time...

Warning

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple. 

My husband doesn't usually read my blog, but just in case he pops by, this one's for you sweetheart. XXX

17 comments:

  1. I love how bright and cheerful all of your squares are! And I too thought of the red hat ladies. They were very big here in the American South when I was a kid. I'm glad to hear they are still around in parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, they are so pretty, what gorgeous patterns. I lov encourage choice of colours. Have a good weekend. Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your squares. They are so cheerful. I love the red hat poem. I always joke that when I get old I am going to be the crazy old lady who says inappropriate things because she can and just do whatever I want because when people get old they have earned the right to be a tab bit insane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the squares,the colours are great. I especially like the navy and pink one. I love that poem also !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo! These are gorgeous! I'm especially smitten with the Ribs&Lace pattern. Your blanket is going to be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great squares, they all look good, but I especially like the last one, very pretty with all the hearts....why that name, is the original in greens and browns?

    Love the poem, that will definitely be me as I'm far too sensible now, always worrying about what people think, and being a good example....just you watch......join me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely grannies! My favorite is the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing the different BAM squares worked up in your colors!! I need to get back on that wagon, lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not quite old, but I think I want to wear purple now! I'm tired of being the sensible one all the time.. :-)

    And I love your squares.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the poem, and thats how I shall be....I am not going to be a pastel lady when I am old...I shall be an old rebel he he.

    Your squares are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the squares and the poem.. I'm all for doing what you want!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all those squares, but the last one most of all. What lovely projects they will make!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's for brightening my day with such lovely squares! The color combinations are so pretty. My favorite is the last one. Thanks for sharing the wonderful poem also. That is how I imagine my golden years being.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hhehe - I heard that peom when I was little and I love it! Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your squares are gorgeous! Great choice of colors and very cheerful to look at! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your squares are so intricate and pretty - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the squares. So beautiful and such a great pattern. I just found your blog through Teresa's and love it!
    I think you should go check her newest post :)

    ReplyDelete