Friday, 11 January 2013

Stuff done and doing, FO Friday.

My FOs are at the bottom of this post if you have just popped over from Tami's Ami's and don't want to read this whole post, if you haven't it is well worth visiting her to see lots of lovely finished objects this Friday.

Oooh, how I love squishy packages of yarn...
This is yarn with purpose, not an idle buy, I am hoping to make the Kornblomst Shawl, which I have been admiring for at least a year.  I'm looking forward to getting going, but need to learn to do foundation single crochet first as this is the beginning the writer now recommends, though the pattern says chains and then single crochets.

That is next on my list and means that for now I am putting down my Chinook scarf.  I don't really want to but the Kornblmost has to be done by the end of the month.  I adore the Chinook pattern though, it's so easy and yet so pretty.  The 100g skein of sock wool is going to make a perfectly respectably sized smallish scarf so it's just a great way of using a special skein...
This is the first time I've managed to get a reasonably good representation of the colour of this Yarn, Stroll Tonal Summer Blooms by Knit Picks.  I think it is a gorgeous colour and the yarn itself is a joy to work with.

Finally, onto my FOs for today, the first two blocks for the 2013BAMCAL.  This year I am using Sirdar Supersoft Aran and the blocks are coming out at about 10 inches, I'm then adding a couple of extra rounds to get to 11 inches.  It sounds obvious, but I was surprised at how much bigger 11 inches squared is than 8 inches squared.  I really will only have to do the two squares a month to get a large afghan.  This will free me up for other projects, another issue I had last year.  Anyway, here they are...
This is 12" Granny by Woolshoppe1 and it was pretty easy.  I wasn't too keen when I first saw it but after watching the thread for a while I realised that with the right colour changes it could be pretty.  I believe one of the reasons for choosing it was it's relative obscurity, nobody in the group seemed familiar with it.  I think these sampler afghans probably need the plainer squares to counterbalance squares like this...
Kiss Fist by Shelby Shea.  This one was fun to do but didn't lie flat so I finished off with a couple of rounds of trebles to even it up.  It's actually quite flat now.

I'm enjoying my colours for this year, I've given myself a much wider palette to play with...
and since then I've added in a red, which I may or may not use, I'll see how it goes.

Right, I'm off to sort out my stash for the next few month's projects.  More of that another time.  Have a lovely weekend Bloggy Friends all.

13 comments:

  1. Not only is your work beautiful but your photography is stunning!! Your top photo could be framed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great colours the squares are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo many pretties! I think I might do some crochet therapy this weekend too. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work is amazing Hilly, I always love the colours of your wool. Your squares look stunning, especially the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great squares, I like the kiss one, the name rings a bell, maybe I've seen t on someone else's blog.

    I've done that foundation chain before, very useful, sometimes working on the chain is difficult, this makes it easier once you've grasped the method.

    Well done on you FOs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your colors. I still have to make my squares. I just finished a huge blanket so maybe this weekend I will make them. Yours are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful colors and projects!!! Thanks for posting! xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely scarf, great color! The squares are so pretty, what a clever thing to do to make a few a month and you have a blanket at the end of the year. Sheer brilliance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a while since I've bought yarn since I am trying to use up some of my stash. I bet your upcoming projects will be beautiful with the new yarn you have. I like your squares too, especially the pink and blue one. I have a bunch of squres for an afghan, all waiting to be sewn together. Someday I need to stop being lazy and just finish it already. Thanks for dropping by my blog and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These two squares are cool. The st definition is terrific. The intended shawl is so pretty. The edging itself is beautifully ornate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a wonderful yarny post! ove your new yarn and your shawl. your squares are lovely. im loving the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely projects, looking froward to seeing your new shawl

    ReplyDelete