Thursday, 3 January 2013

Squares

Just popping by to show you what I've been working on over the last few days.  Firstly I finished a couple more blocks from the 2012BAMCAL.  I'm going to call it a day with these colours now.  I have enough of them to make a small lap blanket and hopefully somebody will take a liking to it.  I've learnt a lot though and am all signed up for the 2013BAMCAL and the Melinda Miller Designer Showcase Sampler (hereafter referred to as the MMDSS), I like participating in these as it's interesting to see all the different squares emerging.  Yesterday I sewed in ends and blocked three new squares.
This was the first square for the MMDSS, completed as stealth project before any of my lovely family emerged from their beds on New Years Day...
It's not by Melinda but by Julie Yeager and is called the Tangled Web Afghan Block.  I included a ring of gold as my homage to The Hobbit which I went to see last week and enjoyed.  The colours are listed on my project page.  I am not limiting myself on colours for these ones as I have a scrappy afghan in progress which they will become part of.

These are my final squares from the 2012BAMCAL..
The Moroccan Tile Afghan Square, some people made a beautiful job of this one, I wasn't too happy with mine but actually it looks fine with the others.
and Melinda Millers Crown Jewels square.  I didn't work the outside edge of this one properly, I can't remember why now, but I loved making the inside section and plan to do this one again properly sometime soon.

I also wanted to take a moment to show you the gorgeous gift sent to me by Kate from Granny Taught Me To Crochet...
I love the little snowflake and am really looking forward to finding a suitable project for that lovely, enormous crochet hook,  I would love to hear any suggestions you might have as I've never made anything with a hook like that before, it should be great fun.

Just to mention as well a giveaway over at Crafty in the Med.  I have the book so I would love to win the pretty yarn.  It is such a lovely blog, well worth an explore if you have a little time.



I hope you are all enjoying the early stages of 2013.  I'm waiting for a yarn delivery, I love it when a big squishy packet of yarn arrives in our porch.  Right, back to the knitting.

11 comments:

  1. Your squares look great. I haven't started mine yet. I have some free time this weekend and thought I would make some of them then. I have the book too, love that yarn though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing that I've ever made with a hook that big is a rag rug, which I love, but I know they're not everybody's cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Lovely squares Hilly.....I think I prefer the tangled web square most of all....its just that bit different and I particularly like the combination of colours.
    Many thanks for the mention too. I now have you as an entry for the yarn if you should win the giveaway.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could make a really chunky cowl/snood with the hook, I can't tell the size from the photo but it looks like a 10? Get some seriously chunky yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the first tangled square, great design and colours.....whenever I see these types of new year groups, I get soooo tempted, problem is I want to do them all!

    I go with cowl too with that big hook, maybe if you don't ave chunky enough yarn, you could double or triple up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that first square is gorgeous!! All of them are, but that first one is stunning! I look forward to seeing what you come up with to use that hook on.. a shawl?
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, look at that crochet hook. Maybe a rug or throw project?
    You were so fast cranking out those three squares. They're each very neat and such more intricate crochet than what I've done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your squares are amazing! I love the square with the gold ring. I have also seen the film and wish that they had stuck closer to the book really but the film was still excellent. Look at the size of that hook! Can't wait to see what you make, I have sen rugs made with hooks like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The squares are beautiful! Lovely patterns and colors. I fell out of practice with my crochet, but your projects always inspire me to get back into it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The squares are amazing to me, Harriet! Well done, in my opinion. I have a plastic crochet hook about the size of your giant wooden one...and I think I used it to make an afghan many years ago. It will be fun to see what you create! xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your squares are really lovely. Such intricate patterns.

    ReplyDelete