Saturday, 29 December 2012

Chinook Scarf

Sometimes in crafting there has to be a time to release a beautiful ball of yarn from an unloved project.  So it was that the other day I frogged this Pax, though I should add that I have no issue with the pattern itself, which is lovely, I just wasn't enjoying it for some reason...
Instead I took out my knitty sticks for a bit of in-between day (because that's what the days between Christmas and New Year are) fun.  I've had my eye on the Chinook Scarf pattern for a while as a great way to have a go at a little lace knitting and also a lovely one skein project.  You just work away increasing every couple of rows or so until you get half way through your skein and then you decrease. Perfect.
First I had a go with some Stylecraft Special DK I had around the place as I know it's easy to frog, but after a couple of attempts and referring to my favourite knitting book...
I had it sussed so I set of with my pretty yarn on skinny little needles (3.75mm, pretty thin for me).  I must say I love it, it's very relaxing to work and I've learnt to make YOs and a built in icord edge, not bad for a fairly inexperienced knitter.
I would like to mention that there 2013 Block A Month Crochet A Long has started over on Ravelry.  I rather fell out of love with my colours last year so this year I'm going to make a Scrapghan using any Stylecraft DK colours which take my fancy.  I see that my blog friend Kashi has signed up this year as well, maybe some of you would like to join us?  It's such a fun and supportive CAL.

Right, I'll be back soon, making the most of the holidays to get a few posts in.  Enjoy the rest of your in-between days, I bet lots of you have started new projects as well.

9 comments:

  1. Love your knitting progress. I have been making a scarf. Just knit and purl so that I can finally finish a knitting project. It has also been an 'in between ' project. That CAL looks like it will be fun too. Can't wait to start on the squares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Built in i-cords are lovely when they're done and they don't seem to take as long as doing a bind off in an i-cord. I think I've only attempted it once, though. I do have an entire project that has a BO in i-cord. It took forever but it was worth it!

    Also, sometimes projects just need to be frogged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your scarf looks amazing and the colour is lush too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh that looks lovely, it is worth frogging something when you get to make something even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love that pink yarn and also the beginning of your shawl! I am adoring using my shawl.
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*
      *H*A*P*P*Y* *N*E*W* *Y*E*A*R*!*
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that color - and the scarf! I added it to my Rav queue :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are leading me astray. I now need to make that scarf and have just the yarn! I am also browsing 'The Block a Month' CAL. I have resisted signing up so far though! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that this yarn is more suited for this Chinook shawl. Good call on your part. I like your concept of in-between days. I am lovin' how we're spending ours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choice of pattern for that pretty yarn. Love the pink! I need to start frogging more of my UFO's, also. I hope that you are enjoying the rest of your holiday. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete