Friday, 23 November 2012

Twinkle Tinkle

It has been a while since I have participated in FO Friday, as it is now my only day off in the week it tends to get very busy, however I really enjoyed this little project and wanted to share it with you...
I made it using this lovely pattern from ATERGcrochet, King Cole Cotton Soft yarn in various colours and a 3.5mm hook.  The pattern is clearly written but I think you would need some crochet experience to follow it as I wouldn't call it a step by step tutorial and it contains a lot of different techniques.  If you would like to try a lovely star decoration which is free and has a really full tutorial you would be better off looking at Lucy's beautiful website here.  This is, of course, where I got my inspiration for the little bells, bought for a song off ebay.  They make a really lovely little tinkle if you sue a few of them together, my girls are smitten with them.

Having enjoyed making this one I thought I would give it another try, this time in the more elegant King Cole Bamboo Cotton and a 3mm hook...
I actually don't like this one nearly as much, though I have made a much neater job of it.  I think I'll keep the lower hook size but use the Cotton Soft and some other yarn I've collected recently for my future efforts.  These colours don't work for me, but somebody will like it and want it for their tree I'm sure.

If you would like some yarny inspiration why not pop over to Tami's blog?  There will be lots of lovely things to see today.

19 comments:

  1. I love them both! Especially the first though :) and the little bells on the tips of the points are perfect! Hugs, Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I still have some little bells somewhere (...I wonder where haha). Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely stars! Your tree will look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stars are lovely! The little bells are so cute, great idea!
    Have a nice weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very adorable decoration, I love the stars Hilly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stars are gorgeous! Those will look awesome on your tree. I want to get my tree up tomorrow!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute decorations, it is lovely seeing the different crochet techniques

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is some intricate crochet! Hooray for you on trying a new pattern and being so daring by going all multi-colored.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are both very pretty. I am smiling at the thought of them tinkling. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, these are so sweet! I love the little bells. They look very intricate to make...thanks for the tip on going to Lucy's blog for more detailed tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love them, they are gorgeous lil starts you have done a fab job :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your stellar post, Harriet! I want to make a star for the top of my little tree. I will investigate your link to the pattern. xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Harriet

    well I like both but yes the first star does more for me ....I think its the colours. The bells on the tips are a lovely addition too.....


    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are gorgeous!

    I keep saying I'm going to learn to crochet but somehow never find the time ... this Christmas I am going to spend all my free time learning ... I keep seeing so many lovely crocheted things to inspire me :D

    ReplyDelete