Sunday, 18 November 2012

Finding time

It's done, and she likes it, and now I can crochet again.  Winners all round I think...
I cast on 49 stitches and worked in 1x1 rib for about a million rows very, very slowly.  It has 19 stripes and 18 tassels.  The wool is Stylecraft Special DK in Claret and Sunshine, they were the nearest I could find to Gryffindor colours and I think they worked well.  All details are on my Ravelry page here if you would like to know more.  It's very, very long but that's difficult to photograph effectively so I thought I would just put a cute picture of my lovely girl up instead.

That done I have been able to pick up my hook again and get back to work on the 2012 BAMCAL that I am part of on Ravelry.   I haven't completed the squares for this since April (!), I fell out of love with it quite drastically, partly the colours and partly the patterns which for a few months were not to my taste. The other night I decided to have a go at the May squares and managed to get them done.  Truth to tell they still aren't especially to my taste but I daresay they will work as part of the whole.  It's definitely good to work outside my comfort zone, sometimes I have been really surprised by how much I do like the squares once they are completed, which is why I am making a concerted effort to try all of them, even those which wouldn't leap out at me from the pattern pages.  I also still remain dubious about my colour choices, though when I lay them all out I think it looks quite fun.

Here are May's Squares...
They are JulieAnny's Stained Glass Afghan Square and the Windowpane Square by Chris Simon.

And here is the blanket so far...
If all goes well this will double in size over the next two or three weeks.  I reckon on each square taking two evenings, there are 12 more group squares and then I will need to make a few extras, depending on how they all fit together.  Alternatively if there are a couple that I really can't get my head around I will drop them and make it six by four squares.  I'm all set for next year, I'm going to make a proper scrapghan using only what I have.  This will mean I can change the colours month by month and won't get bored of them.

OK, that's me up to date.  I'm still staying away from the amigurumi for the sake of my wrist but Christmas is beginning to niggle at the back of my mind so I predict something Christmassy in the making before too long.

Have a lovely week.

18 comments:

  1. The scarf looks awesome, and the colours do really closely match the colours of the scarf in the story :)

    I really like those squares and the colours you are doing them in.

    I am not good with amigurumi! Can understand why Christmas is niggling you as it has been niggling me for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scarf looks great. I think scarves just are long. When I knitted my daughter one it took much longer than I had thought.

    Your crochet square are really lovely. All so different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving your squares! The Stained Glass Square is one of my all-time favorites. Those squares might not be to your liking, but rest assured you will have a stunning blanket when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was doing a bamcal this year too, not the same as yours, and I stopped in April too for much the same reasons. However I am NOT inclined to complete the rest of the blocks.
    xXx Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the scarf. I quite like your May squares. The blanket will look wonderful when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful bright colours you have chosen to make those squares.....xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The scarf looks perfect and that is a wonderful smile your daughter has shows us just how much she loves its!! She looks so pleased!
    Those squares look great and I think the blanket will be wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a very accomplished stitcher, Harriet! Your industry spurs me on to get some of my projects done, too:) I am listening to Christmas music and it is raining both of which should encourage me to succeed! Joy to you and yours. xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter looks very happy with her new scarf!! I admire your perseverance! And I totally love your BAMCAL colors-- I stopped halfway through the year, as I finished a 20 square afghan-- but I've been thinking of a new one already! Your colors in those patterns look absolutely fabulous! Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your darling little girl looks very happy.. bravo, mom! I'm working on a Christmas blanket using red, green, yellow and ivory.. in a "Flower in the Snow" design. Fun fun. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi again! What a lovely girl your daughter is.. I love the new teeth emerging...so much promise of a shiny new smile :) She looks so pleased with her scarf too...isn't it lovely when you make something that they love...it has taken me 27 years to get my daughter to wear something I have made.. but at last she agrees that crochet is back in fashion! Your May squares are amazing... I must look those patterns up.. so nice to see some new (tom me) ones... hugs, Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww how cute is your Lil lady!!!!! Love the scarf to, it matches griffindoor colours quite well.
    I love the colours your using for the squares but I know what you mean. When your not enjoying something you tend to leave it abandoned in the bottom of the project basket!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely scarf (and daughter) and I love your squares as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your daughter is just gorgeous. Look at that radiant smile. Her new scarf is awesome! Oh boy do I need to knit one up for myself one day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how happy does L look?! I showed it to the juniors and they have now requested I make them one each (but Hufflepuff and Slytherin - can you guess which child wants which?)
    I think your blanket looks lovely - I understand what you mean about the colours though I've just done a granny stripe for a new baby in primary colours and I'm still debating its suitability.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How could you tell she loves it? LOL! What a beautiful smile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the sample blanket. I haven't forgotten about mine... its just waiting for the christmas crochet rush to go. Will look forward to picking it up again in the new year. Hope you are well. I will be posting something to you next week ....save till xmas though! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful picture of your girl in her gorgeous new scarf! She is beaming in that picture. Great job with the knitting! And gosh, that is going to be one fabulous blanket. Love the stained glass square especially.

    ReplyDelete