Saturday, 20 October 2012

Mrs Elephant

Just a little something from me this week, I had a lot of fun making it, the blanket part was perfect to work on while I finished watching The Great British Bake Off on iplayer.  What a brilliant programme, I enjoyed every moment of it and so did L.  We watched lots of them together, I think we actually enjoyed it more that Strictly Come Dancing which I haven't bothered with yet this year.  I have also really begun to bake again in earnest since watching it, we haven't eaten a shop bought cake or biscuit in this house for ages.

Anyhoo, here is an Elephant Lovey...
All the details are here on Ravelry, she is made entirely from stash yarn, namely King Cole Cotton Soft and King Cole Bamboo Cotton for the grey parts.  I liked the elephant pattern very much, though I did my own thing for the blanket, using Jan Eaton's Square Target square so that I had fewer ends to sew in...
I also embroidered on her eyes, because I wasn't very taken with the huge eyes in the pattern, a thing I love about elephants is their beautiful deep black eyes, I needed them to look as much like that as possible.

And here Mrs Elephant is with her new owner, who's mother very kindly gave me permission to put this photo of her beautiful baby on my blog...
Have a lovely weekend.

13 comments:

  1. I love it, what a great pattern, I have a baby pressie to make that I've still not done, so maybe one of these, either that or a rabbit, though I've made loads of those so an elephant would b a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Hilly,

    Love Mrs Elephant I bet baby keeps that for a long long time. Its the sort of softness that babies and kiddies grow attached to. I find eyes so difficult especially when the soft toy or doll is for a small child. I just don't like to use buttons or stick on eyes. I embroidery them but they don't turn out nice at all....mouths are ok but eyes....tch!!!
    I also like very much and that is a big very much the bag in your last post. Really good combination of colours that is highlighted by the pattern that you have used.


    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job on the elephant toy! What a treasure! And that BABY! AdorABLE! Love love!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my days!!!!!! Beautiful elephant and stunning lil baby too! Love the elephant you have made wonderful colours.
    I have not bought a cake since last years bake off and insist on homemade everytime! It is time consuming but enjoyable and they taste better too.
    Enjoy your cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did such a terrific job on the lovey. It's perfect and baby is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous baby! The elephant is so cute, what a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhh! I love Mrs. Ellie, Harriet. Thanks for sharing her with us. She is now on my 'want to make' list!!! xx from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is beautiful! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet gift. I was admiring the eyes in the picture before I read about your decision to do your own thing. I think they have a very classic toy look that makes her very appealing. I'm sure she'll be treasured by baby and mum for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love this lovey! And crazy timing as I was just looking at a lovey pattern for a friend's baby for Christmas (this one http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-blanket-55). I'm not sure which to make, but after seeing yours, I know I am making one for her!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete