Sunday, 5 August 2012

YOP 3: The Olympic Edition

Usually this is my Tuesday Tally project, but it is definitely on my YOP list and is my main (only) working project at the moment so, as I probably won't be able to post on Tuesday, I thought I would share it today instead while the rest of my family are engaged in Sunday morning laziness. 
The Olympics has been very much on my mind for the last week and every evening has been spent snuggled up on the sofa with my yarn basket hooking up these circles for my Sunny Spread.  I did not have the perfect colours to make an Olympic symbol but these are close enough for you to get the idea. I have made really good progress actually.  A kind commentator was good enough to say she liked my bar chart representation of my progress last time I updated about this project, and I am geeky enough to confess that I did as well so...
I need 120 in total (15 in each colour) and at the moment I have 28 completed squares, there is still a lot to go but I am just getting my head down and hooking away.  I now think of this as my Olympic blanket but there is no way it will be finished even by the end of the Paralympics.

I read somewhere, I think it was actually on Ellen Gormly's (she who created this lovely pattern) website, that it can be a good idea to complete the centre motifs of patterns like this and then you just have to carry around the centre motifs and your surrounding colour.  This struck me as a very good point so I am now making a batch of centres so that I can complete the turquoise edges on various long car journeys which I have coming up.

If you would like to read more YOP posts then they are here, I have to go and do some very boring shopping today with Mr HT but reading these with a cuppa will be my reward when I get home from Cribbs Causeway.

22 comments:

  1. Looking good. You're going for the Gold! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is looking good! Love your colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooking gold doesn't sound quite right does it? ;) They are lovely, and we have been rooted to the Olympics too. My bulls eye squares are coming on well, except for last night when one 20 min square took 3 1/2 hours, I kept getting distracted and not counting properly and I ripped back more times than gold medals, lost count of everything in the end, what a day! Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see more of your Olympic Blanket! Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking nice! Love the color theme you are using throughout! Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really going to have to try this pattern Harriet! They are such lovely squares!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutley gorgeous!!The colours are so pretty and it looks like that are quick to do!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blanket is looking super. Doing the edges on car journeys sounds like a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great project, I love all the colours you are using....it's a project that works equally well in a solid colour and lots of colours....sounds like perfect crochet in the car (well, as long as it isn't you driving that is!)

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Olympic blanket is looking great, the colours amazing and I'm sure with head down you'll just keep plugging away at it and it will be done before you know it. Great idea on doing the centres and keeping the edgings for long car journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am loving this! I too have this blanket in the works! My 6 yr old niece said that if I ever made her a blanket she wanted it all pinks and purples.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great! I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG I LOVE this. It looks like a fruit punch spread to me with all those fresh fruit colours! Don't worry about finishing within the Olympics - you'll be in good company ... and so will I :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. <3 your results every time you blog about these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so beautiful. I love all the center colors and really like that you are going with a bright for the border color as well. Can't wait to watch your progression!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is really really nice and I like your choice of color. You still have some olympics to do good progress on it. And as said by La Fontaine: Lentement mais surement... translation Slowly but surely, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a complete crochet nerd and your bar graph appeals to all my geeky senses! I'm so inspired by your color choices - so fresh and bright!
    Love crocheting to the Olympics what fun it's been so far!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh, those sunny spread squares are BEAUTIFUL! I've not seen them done in two colours before, but they look lovely.

    Cribbs Causeway is my "local" big mall too, but will be off limits for a while due to the massive roadworks from the M4 onwards. Sorry, not really relevant but it's always nice to stumble across a local-ish blogger (I'm in Wiltshire).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the colors. The Sunny Spread is such a fun pattern. I love the "bar graph" you made, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are so fun! So bright and colorful!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your sunny spread looks gorgeous, I love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank you so much!!! i loved it all!!!! i have't forgotten about your hook - I just have a holiday to go to and have asked Pete to make you one!

    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete