Tuesday, 28 August 2012

The Giant's Causeway

Here we go with a holiday post.  I think that our trip to Belfast probably warrants at least a couple of posts, Ireland is such a beautiful country with so many lovely things to see and do.  We spent a lot of time at the beach doing not very much at all but we also had lovely trips to various places, one of which was The Giant's Causeway, setting for the legend of the Irish giant Finn MacCool and the Scottish giant Benandonner's famous grudge match.  If you are interested you can read about their manly squabbles here.  Years ago I visited the Scottish side, this year it was time to see the Irish.

I had heard so much about the Causeway and have wanted to see it for a long time, last time we went over to Ireland we weren't able to go but on this occasion we were blessed with a day of fine weather.  I have to admit that, despite the fame of the area, I had not expected such an out of the way place to be quite so busy.  It was absolutely thronging with people of all nationalities.  Unfortunately we largely by-passed the visitors centre, I would have liked to look round but some of our party wanted to get going and it was very busy in there.  Maybe I'll get a chance another time.

The walk down to the causeway was beautiful, a perfect blue sea and fabulous rocks...

We had a picnic looking at this view.

We then walked along the coastal path enjoying such views the whole way.  We had an audio tour but soon abandoned them and just enjoyed the fresh sea air.

It was lovely that once at the rocks you are free to climb all over them, enabling me to get interesting photos showing the formations...
There were lots of people enjoying the "Fourth finest natural wonder in the United Kingdom"  I really must make it my business to visit the other nine, for the sake of my blog of course.  This was the least crowded view I managed...
After enjoying the natural wonderment for a while we sat down in a slightly quieter area and let the children climb about in relative safety.  L had nearly given me a heart attack my clambering off to the top without telling anyone, she seemed to be having a Greta Garbo day and wanted lots of personal space.  When I asked her why she said she 'wanted an adventure', I admire her free spirit and mountain goat tendencies but wish she would have her adventures in places other than the edge of a cliff by the Irish sea...
It was a beautiful bit of coast, I would have liked to be on the sailing boat you might be able to spot in this picture..
One day I would like to go back to the Giant's Causeway, perhaps in the winter when it is less busy, and complete the whole of the route set out there as I feel I did miss out on quite a lot of it.  The children were rather fractious and tired that day so, having seen the main part, it was decided to head back to the car and drive on to a nearby, beautiful and mercifully quiet beach nearby.

13 comments:

  1. You got some great photographs of what looks like a really fascinating place...I think I may dispute it being only the fourth finest natural wonder in the UK. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went there a few years ago and found it equally busy! having visited the south for over 20 years we shall be sticking with that but our youngest son is off to uni in Belfast in a few weeks so I daresay we shall visit the causeway again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat place. Glad you had a good time. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for posting all those beautiful photographs. We went there very often, while we were living in Irland. I love this place! I hope I can go back there too one day.
    Have a happy day! Barbina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos. Why am I thinking of patchwork quilts now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your little Greta Garbo.. and those wonderful rock formations. We have them here, and call them "columnar basalt". They're neat as they look like building blocks. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi HillyT

    Impressive photographs of one of the places I've always wanted to see but have not been able to as yet. Its a bit off putting that these places get so busy which sounds very selfish considering everyone has a right to enjoy these wonders of nature too so I'm inclined to agree about choosing an off peak season time to visit.
    Looks like you had a very good day for it though.

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun and beautiful place to explore. I so want to go to Ireland! You're so lucky to be nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for taking me along to the sea, Harriet! I never tire of seeing it :) We hope to go to Lincoln City, OR, on Friday and I am certain the waves are calling to me. Wishing you more happy days :)
    x Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does look fabulous, but I agree I love places to be empty when I go, not thronging with tourists, which of course I am one of!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coming from Northern Ireland I am biased as to how beautiful a place it is. It is great to hear that you have had such a lovely time there and obviously good weather! The Giant's Causeway is one of my favourite places and my husband proposed to me on the rocks down by the sea many years ago. It was just after Christmas and although there were still several people around, when he got down onto his knee, we where the only 2 people actually on the causeway at that point.

    ReplyDelete