Friday, 10 August 2012

A FO, but not mine.

Hello all, it feels like a long time since I have been to my blog or visited anybody else's.   I've been on holiday to my parent's house in sunny Hereford having a lovely little change of scene.  When I got back I realised that lots of you have been very busy on your blogs so it will take me a while to catch up, especially as at the moment I seem to spend most evenings watching the Olympics.

I am not having a very good crochet time at the moment.  I'm bored to bits of my circle squares so I'm having a little break from them and making some granny squares for my Groovyghan.  However I do have a FO to show you, this one is a genuine 70s Granny Square throw, made by my mother for my brother...
The colours are so fresh and modern looking, I can hardly believe that this blanket is older than I am.  My mother said that she found some instructions in a magazine and just decided to have a go, then she became addicted to making them (sound familiar?) and before long she had enough for a blanket.  Of course my mother has a brilliant eye for colour and is an excellent artist, so putting colours together is probably less stressful for her than for mere mortals like me.

Here it is as a whole...
it isn't actually lying on the lawn, that's my new rug, but it shows how well it goes in my newly redecorated den.

There are a couple of places where it needs repairs...

but altogether I am thrilled to have a liberated such a lovely blanket from the back of the airing cupboard, especially as it looks gorgeous on the back of our sofa.  I'll show you some pictures when the room is totally finished.

If you would like to see some more FOs then why not go over to Tami's Blog and see what everybody else has been up to?

23 comments:

  1. What a wonderful keepsake from you mother!! I love the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like that. Your mum has a good eye for colour, as you said. Considering it was made in the 70s the colours are very modern. Think of 70s granny blankets and bright neon with black spring to mind :)

    Ruby x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A family heirloom! How lovely that's it's getting used now, especially as you enjoy your crocheting so much too....makes yo appreciate all the work gone in.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, that is an amazing blanket! My mother crocheted back in her day, but she has virtually nothing left to show for it. :( You're so lucky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cool blanket! And a great story to tell people too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your mom' s work, Harriet! I also especially appreciate her use of color! Glad you had a good holiday! =)
    Gracie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your mom' s work, Harriet! I also especially appreciate her use of color! Glad you had a good holiday! =)
    Gracie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh what a lovely blanket - I love the colours!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a timeless piece! Your mum got skillz!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is lovely, and it does not look old. In fact I think the mix of colours makes it look rather modern. I love that limey green, and the turquoises.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. I love family heirlooms like this. They are completely timeless. You have reminded me that I must repair my own favourite blankie (I made it myself years ago and some of the wool has felted so needs sewing up before it unravels. )

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE IT LOVE IT. Blues are so serene.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous colours, and so lovely that you have rescued and repaired and are loving it again. Means so much more when you know the maker too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Hilly
    I've been tidying up and also trying out a few new gadgets on my blog and I'm not quite sure how this happened but I see I haven't got you and a few other blogs on the Reading/blogs I follow list anymore. I've therefore joined again of course because I think you have a great blog and I wish to continue following it.
    Wonderful blanket and stuck in the back of an airing cupboard you say! tut!!! what a waste. Great combination of different shades of blues and greens which remind me of the sea.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely colours! How nice to rescue such a lovely blanket and put it on display where it should be :-)
    Lori xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thats a lovely FO, I love the colours your mother has used.

    You aren't the only one who has been missing out on blogging and crocheting...I hadn't blogged for a month until today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I nominated you for a blog award :O); pls check it out on today's post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing blanket! I love the blues, greens and grey- just lovely.
    How wonderful to liberate it!
    Have a super week!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful discovery! I wish I knew where my old granny blanket is hiding that I made many many years ago. I look forward to seeing it on your sofa. I'm back from our lake camping trip - I do hope you pop over to my blog and see the photos. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used to be a regular college student and now I go all over the country and stay at really nice hotels Best hotel dar es salaam

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great dreams of great dreamers are always transcended.Guest house facility in Guindy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey great stuff, thank you for sharing this useful information and i will let know my friends as well.Avenirelectricalconsultants

    ReplyDelete