Sunday, 8 July 2012

Year of Projects Week 1


I didn't think I was going to be able to post any progress at all with my YOP this week.  For some reason my girls have become obsessed with possessing one of these each and are giving me NO PEACE at all. Whenever they see me walk within 10 metres of my yarn basket they demand progress updates and projected finishing dates.  It's like having two very small but very determined office managers who are currently seeking promotion (not that I've ever worked in an office, but that's how I imagine it might be).

Anyway, progress has been made on those and I am anticipating having them ready for FO Friday next week as I haven't had anything to share for a few weeks now.  Leaving the Sleepy Sarahs aside (oh, how I wish I could), I have actually begun work on a (whispers) Christmas project.  My YOP list (I made a page link at the side which I am inordinately proud of) has on it a Christmas Nativity Scene.  I had meant to design the figures myself but then I found this lovely pattern and a place to download it so I splashed out and bought it.
This is going to be Mary.  I know it's not much but I'm having trouble sticking to any one project at the moment, there are so many things I want to make, I want to start every single thing on my list.  I'm planning to make the colours quite muted, I found this lovely example on Ravelry using only three colours and the tiniest bit of blue for Mary.  I'm not going to limit myself that much but I'm going to stay away from the brights for this one.

So there we go: after all, all crochet starts with just one stitch and the same is true of the Year of Projects, it might as well start with half an amigurumi Mary as with nothing at all.  There has also been progress on my Fruity Sunny Spread (several people have said that it looks like slices of citrus fruit which I hadn't thought of but is certainly true), but I only blogged about that on Tuesday so I'll leave it for now.

If you would like to see some more YOP posts they are listed here.  Thank you to Sarah for the lovely graphic at the top of the page.

17 comments:

  1. I think the sleepy sarah is adorable. Can't wait until the nativity set is done. I had thought about doing one but don't know if I would have the patience. So I will watch your progress. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the sleepy Sarahs, and I think I NEED one as well ! LOL!

    Very cute nativity pattern, and it looks like you've made a good start with Mary. We always had extra animals so we could play farm with them too. Is that wrong? I don't know. I just think there ought to be a whole flock of sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sleepy Sarah's are so cute I can see why your little ones are asking after them and I love the nativity scenes so gorgeous, really looking forward to seeing those come together more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute nativity pattern! Might have to add that to my queue, it would make a perfect present for one of my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a cute beginning.. I look forward to seeing it done.. as I'm sure are your girls. :-)
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to add the Nativity to my list. I had meant to make one for my sister in law this year. I just updated my list too. Oh well. I love the start. It is going to be cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I was your daughter I would be acting the same way! :) Those are too cute and you have very lucky daughters. I really like the muted nativity colors--very regal and humble at the same time.
    *smiles and cheeriness sent to you*

    ReplyDelete
  8. That will be such a cute set for Christmas! I love how your girls are demanding their lil' gnomies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The nativity will be wonderful, the girls will like the figures as much as sleepy sarah...Your list is great and I can't wait to see the finished projects..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do see how your girls want the sleepy sarahs, very sweet....if I made one it would probably turn out like a scary Sarah! Facial features should be straightforward, but a stitch out of place can make the difference can't it!

    Love the nativity, love the muted shades idea, a bit like those little figures in beiges and creams, can't think what they're called...it's nice to use a different palette sometimes isn't it?

    Have a good week.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. As everyone else has said, they are indeed very cute! My children are the same when they want something made too - they expect me to magic it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. awww thats proper cute. I have to say I'm struggling with sticking to one project too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amigurumi is my nemesis. Make that arch-nemesis. I do enjoy seeing the success that others can make of it though, looking forward to watching your projects progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have the same pattern! I hope to make it up for my mom for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh gosh, I understand why your daughters want one of those dolls so much - love your description of them! And yes, as someone who does work in an office, that's pretty much what it's like ;)

    The Nativity scene is so cute! Can't wait to see it all finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary is looking great so far, it's going to be so cute when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the idea of a hand-made Nativity scene! This will definitely become an heirloom.

    ReplyDelete