Wednesday, 25 July 2012

WIP Wednesday

Just for a change I've been knitting.  I had planned to teach myself continental knitting through dishcloths (I'm not a very adventurous knitter) but interestingly I found that continental style knitting hurts the same areas as crochet whereas my usual throwing style does not.  It was very comforting actually working on this last night, like the knitting of my childhood, steady, unassuming and colourful...
I am using the Grandmother's Favourite dishcloth pattern and some Peaches and Creme cotton which I ordered from this website over a year ago.  From what I can gather this yarn is discontinued and they have very little stock now so I may have to find a UK alternative or order from the US.  I am a fan of all things American and find names like Vanna's and Red Heart strangely alluring.  When I first picked up my needles again I found this yarn available and ordered a few balls on a whim, then it sat around doing nothing (apart from making a couple of apple cozies) in my stash,  Now it is liberated and marked up for projects.  The colourway is Fiesta and it's loud, but I'm quite enjoying it.  I will probably make quite a few different dishcloths over the coming weeks, they are rather fun and I'm going to pop them away as Christmas presents.  I would like to make one like this owl one, mostly because eventually I would like to be able to make this jumper and / or hat.  I just love them but I've never done cabling so couldn't attempt them at the moment.

Don't forget to enter my giveaway if you would like to, the winner will be drawn next week.  I have now changed the guidelines to entry and anybody who pops by regularly is welcome to enter, I often forget to become a follower of the blogs I subscribe to in Google Reader so I expect others are the same!

For more works in progress pop over to Tami's blog, lots of inspiration there I'm sure.

22 comments:

  1. Ooh I LoVe the yarn you're using. I haven't used variegated yarn yet.
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colours in the yarn your using are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made any dish cloths yet, either crochet or knit, but I was recently given a knitted face washer and it has become my favourite one to use.
    xXx Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. The yarn your are using is GORGEOUS! The dish cloth will be fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really pretty and what a good size project to learn new skills

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those colors. They are so cheerful

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very nice! I have never even tried to knit...looks much much harder than crochet...maybe one day I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is probably the most common dishcloth pattern.....but we all use it over and over again for a reason: we love it!

    As for Vanna's Choice and Red Heart.......well, they have their uses and the color palates are grand. However, I guess I'm a yarn snob because I don't get them very often. I tend to use them for baby toys or items for children. I well....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the yarn ~ the colours are great for the pattern you are using. I made the owl one ages ago and it honestly wasn't too difficult to do :O)xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loud is perfectly fine in a dishcloth :) I think it's "cheery"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never knit a dishcloth before..never have seen a pattern for one either..only crochet..alas..I've lived a sheltered life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun dishcloth colorway! Maybe you just need to take a break from crafting and let your muscles heal. Do the stretches and ice and heat the areas for five days or so.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That rainbow-y yarn is one of my favorites to look at, but the color never matches anything else! So it's perfect for dishcloths :) KnitPicks has some nice cotton yarns- but I dont know what shipping costs would be like if they ship to the UK...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Peaches and Creme has the greatest cotton colors. I just picked up some on sale and I know they'll become dishcloths. I have been on a kick making them recently. I think because it's hot and they're cool and comfortable. Plus it feel so good to finish them! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Fiesta looks great on your dishcloth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a lovely yarn and colours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried cabling and it's much easier than you'd think, I'm sure you will be fine.

    I still haven't made a dishcloth - is that very wrong of me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forget the dishcloths, I may never make another, if you have an urge to make homely, grandmotherly stuff I would try a scrubbie. I will elaborate in far too much detail tomorrow but details are on my Ravelry projects.

      Delete
  18. Its very pretty yarn. I love the way it looks on the bamboo needles. I also have never made a dishcloth. Maybe I should give it a go. :-)

    ReplyDelete