Wednesday, 18 July 2012

FOs: Teacher Presents

Having being one of the "buy a bunch of flowers and a card" school of teacher gift buying up until now I was suddenly overcome with the urge to make L's teacher a gift for the end of year.  L absolutely adores her and she's done a great job this year so I thought I would break my rule of not making gifts for non-crafters on this occasion.

Recently Sharie shared some lovely owls she had made and the pattern she had created.  Unfortunately, for various reasons you can read about if you wish here, she felt obliged to take the pattern down.  I can understand why people get very protective of their patterns as so much work goes into them, but I did feel sad that there was unpleasantness going on in a crochet blog world, it's usually such a happy place!  I don't wish to make any grand statements about copyright issues, or get involved in a crochet owl war, but I made up the pattern for these owls off the top of my head, inspired by various images I saw about the place, not only in crochet but on greetings cards and stickers.  With a few tweaks to get the wings neat they are basically an unfinished cylinder, connected at the top with sc to make the owl shape.  Anybody who had been crocheting for a bit could make one. Some people like to work from patterns, but if you like to spontaneously create something with yarn and a hook these are a great place to start.  Sometime I may take some photos of how they are put together, but I can't make another one at the moment because making these ones so fast has made my hand seize up.  I am on an enforced amigurumi break.

So here are the owls, made of King Cole Bamboo Cotton with a 3mm hook:
This is quite a large owl (it stands at about 15 cm and is 10 cm wide), he is stuffed with plastic pellets for a beanie feel, lavender for scent and then some normal toy stuffing.  I put the plastic pellets and lavender in a new pop sock to stop it working its way out of the stitches.

Not content with that at about 9 0'clock on Tuesday night I decided to make another one for a teacher at the school who has allowed me to update my skills in her classroom.  It's a very little one, about 4 cm in height:
This one is stuffed with lavender in a new pop sock and could actually be hung from a coat hanger or something as I attached a loop.  It took longer to make than I was anticipating but I was happy enough as it was Lewis week this week so I just sat in front of the TV and hooked him up.  A late night was had, but I think it was worth it. This teacher crafts so I think she will appreciate it.

So, term has ended and I'm looking forward to the Summer holidays as much as the girls are.  I'm hoping the weather will clear up so that we can get out and about.  My posts about family life and the Cotswolds have been scarce recently because, even though we've busy as usual, it's just not very photogenic at the moment.  I hope I'll be able to make up for some lost time and squeeze in a few journal type entries in amongst the crochet, this blog was always meant to be a bit of both.  At least the bad weather is conducive to crafting on the sofa if nothing else.

18 comments:

  1. Very cute! I love them. The teachers are going to love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your owls are adorable. What a lovely teacher gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH...It came out very nice...I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great gifts these are! Teachers really appreciate the handmade gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The owls are super cute. I love the idea of stuffing them with lavender scent. It is unfortunate to see such copyright conflicts in our creative blogging world.
    I love visiting your blog and seeing all of your wonderful crochet projects. So inspiring and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...how do I become one of your girls' teachers so I can get one of these owls? ;)

    Great colours, they're just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your simple directions, and you're right, anyone could make one and figure it out and there can be no copyright fussing about that at all! I've seen come crochet wars on ravelry too and I was astounded by it all! I'm all for "don't worry, be happy". Those owls you made are simply adorable and I bet they smell good, too! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your owls are lovely. I agree with you, there are only so many knitting and crochet stitches, and things to make, so it is not surprising if there is some overlap sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I'm sure the teachers will just love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're owl is so lovely Harriet! I wonder if with a bit of extra weight it could be used as a doorstop, is it big enough? I have a growing plan for my office door now x

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're fabulous and I'm sure the teachers loved them :-)

    Lori xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really cute! What is it with owls, it just never grows old.......it's nice to make something homemade for someone when you know they'll appreciate it....we did homemade pressies too, I am so very grateful for all the help my boys new teachers and LSAs have given them.

    I do hope the weather is on the up, we don't hav many plans as such, but it would be nice to get out and about.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello...Shari again...If you have a minute...go over to my blog, I have left you a little something there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So special--handmade gifts are a treasure!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  15. New here via YOP. Love these, so cute :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello...I have an award for you on my blog..go check it out when you have a minute!
    Eileen :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. If it were my students and they gave me these owls I'd be over the moon with this sort of gift....there is nothing better than a handmade gift!

    Keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete