Thursday, 12 July 2012

A bit of Tunisian

Well, I may not have got a lot done on my ongoing blanket project but I am really enjoying teaching myself Tunisian crochet.  It is extremely easy actually, at least this section of the pattern I am making is.  Aoibhe Ni has made a very helpful video here, it is the only video I have watched and it has got me going with no trouble on Pax.  She does speak fast but if you have your mouse poised over pause it is possible to work along with her and her accent is absolutely beautiful.  If you are actually thinking of having a go at Pax then I found these project notes to be extremely useful to help me get going.  


So here is what Tunisian crochet looks like on my lovely new Knit Pro hook.  This one is actually one which attaches to circular needle wires which will be handy if I ever want to make a blanket, however I've just spent my birthday money on a normal set of these because it has been such a pleasure to use.  
It was a bit eye boggling to me at first seeing more than one loop on the hook like that but actually Tunisian crochet is very logical and simple.


And here is my first evening's work...
I am using my gorgeous pink Knit Picks Stroll Tonal in Summer Blooms.  Strictly speaking the project is for Lace Weight but I just have a feeling it will be pretty in this lovely yarn and I'm stash busting as well which is a bonus.


If anybody is thinking they would like to expand their craft repertoire then I think this is something you could teach yourself to become relatively proficient at within a few evenings, of course I am still on the simple section and it's a long simple section but I don't see any particular difficulty in the following sections of the scarf.


I also want to let you know that as I now have my proper camera back I will be having my 100 follower giveaway (I know it's late, I'm so excited to have 126 followers, thank you all so much) in the next few days.  I want to say a little thank you for all the help, advice and giggles over the last year or so.

11 comments:

  1. A friend of mine has dabbled with some Tunisian crochet, I think she made her hook. I think I may be right in thinking that Tunisian crochet is a bit like brioche knitting, do you slide the stitches and work the other way?

    One day, I will give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think I'm fine with crochet and knit, I don't have time to finish those projects! LOL! But that is very pretty and I *love* that yarn! Congrats on the 126 followers.. and I'm looking forward to your giveaway! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aoibhe Ni is doing great things with tunisian crochet at the moment! That's a great little pattern, and I'm glad you're breezing through the simple stitch section. It looks great in your Stroll Tonal - can't wait to see it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm using that same color, only in laceweight! SOOO beautiful!
    And your Tunisian is nice and even looking! Pax is definitely a pattern I want to try in the near future :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello HillyT

    Love this colour!
    Look forward to your giveaway...oh my up to 126 followers!

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the woven look Tunisan Crochet gives! You're doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh good to know. I have my eye on Venus (same designer as Pax) as my next laceweight project and I was wondering how much of a struggle tunisian would be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh not seen this type of crotchet before, looking forward to seeing the finished article.

    Hope job is going well :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Job starts in September, I've been in a couple of times and it seems like a lovely school so I'm quite hopeful. Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  9. How exciting! I'm learning Tunisian crochet this week as well! I was intimidated at first, and I did have a little trouble with were to hold my work on the "return" pass. Now that I've been at it for a bit I'm much more comfortable and find it fun and rather quick. You're more adventurous than I am though as I went with a washcloth for my first project! I love the color of your yarn and am looking forward to seeing your finished scarf.
    Did you know there are more than 200 variations of the Tunisian stitch?! I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that! It's been fun to learn, I don't know that I ever would have if it hadn't been for the lovely pattern, I just thought it would be lovely in the yarn I had loitering in my stash.
      I saw that you were learning as well, it's great to be able to keep an eye on how somebody else is getting on with it! I agree, it is fun and quick, I'm sure I will do lots more.

      Delete