Friday, 8 June 2012

FO Friday: Crochet Socks

So, after the partial confessional of my last post I am very proud to be able to tell you that I do indeed have a stash/UFO busting completed project to share this week.
Crochet socks.  Yes, I know, silly idea really.   They are, to paraphrase Douglas Adams almost, but not entirely, unlike socks.  They look like socks, they were hugely fun to make and I love the stormy colour (Lang Jawoli Magic, 25) but they are not an unqualified success.  They are very hard to get on, not being especially stretchy, and the toes are all wrong.  The first sock I made had about an extra inch of pointy toe (sorry, forgot to take a photo) so I modified the toe on the second one and unpicked and remade the original.  The details are all on my ravelry page.  Anyway, they are fun and I think I will wear them next winter but I am feeling pretty neutral about crocheting any more.  I may try a pair of toe ups but it looks as if I will have to face the knitting demons if I wish to become a sock maker.  I'm still mulling that possibility over.  Anyway here they are...
I love the Granny detail at the top, so cute.  I am thinking of making a pair of wrist warmers with this feature.  I also learnt two new skills making them. Extended Double Crochet (EDC) which makes a flat stitch suitable for socks as it means they will actually fit in some shoes, and Foundation Double Crochet, which gives a springy edge to your crochet and which I have been meaning to learn for ages and learnt by accident when making these.  Definitely a worthwhile project despite all appearances to the contrary.  The pattern (and instructions for those two new stitches) is a free one from here.

I have (oh so) nearly finished another project as well but I'm not going to cheat, it'll be properly completed by next week and as I have a secret project underway I will save it until then.  Please pop over to Tami's Blog and see some more finished objects, they are always gorgeous.

28 comments:

  1. Crocheted socks certainly are on my to-do-list. You've made me add them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do love the colours so vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh those are so cute, i love the colours!!!! have a great friday xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so cool, I wasn't even aware that you could crochet socks, but then again why not? I love the colours.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your socks are looking so pretty! Love the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like your socks and I am going to check out the pattern you used. The socks I am making are toe up and have also introduced me to a couple of new stitch techniques. Mine aren't yet finished, but I am going to be having some enforced down time over the next few days so my crochet socks are on top of the list!
    xXx Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great socks, love the colour and runaway success or not, they've taught you new skills, which is always good. I made some crochet socks last year which were toe up and actually not a bad fit at the end, I learnt a few new methods too.

    Well done on another busted WIP, great to tick things off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great, so I'm sorry they don't fit well. Don't give up on crocheted socks yet - I've had more success with toe up crocheted socks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I have some of that wool in my basket and nothing on the needles - your post has made me very tempted to make something with it this weekend - beautiful colours and an interesting pattern, the granny detail is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colors are gorgeous. And the detail at the top is really cute. Sorry they are so hard to get on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these! I have been reluctant to make crocheted socks due to their bulkiness, but these are super adorable-Love the granny detail!
    However, I agree that toe up would probably be a better method for better fitting socks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful! I love the colors =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look lovely, great colours. Join me on the sock knitting dark side :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great!
    I'll have to check out the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have honestly never heard of crochet socks before, and I think they are lovely! What a learning process, and the yarn is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am inviting you to come and be part of my blog hop:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/06/show-your-stuff-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well ... while I'm sorry they weren't an unqualified success for you, I really don't do socks so ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have always wondered if there were crochet socks out there. Now I know. Good to hear your two cents on the whole process and FO.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The May 2012 issue of Interweave Crochet has an article on how to customize the fit for a sock crochet pattern and also has a toe up pattern. I have it marked to try, so especially appreciate you sharing your experience with your beautiful socks...even if they are not quite what you hoped they would be. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for tip, I'll have to see if I can find that article.

      Delete
    2. I'd also like to see that... being far more novice than Hilly T, but definitely better at crochet than knitting. Would be a fun way to test out my cosy homespun wool... Nicky

      Delete
  20. oh my goodness they look amazing, the colour is fab too. I have been considering making some crochet socks too but as ever its on the to-crochet-list.
    these are brilliant, they look so so so snug & warm.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know - what I love about crochet socks is that the seem to be so much sturdier and yours looks absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those socks look awesome....I have read that crochet socks are much cosier than knitted socks too!

    Oh! Could you check out my latest post :) there is something for you to read!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been nominated for the Sunshine Award and I would like to pass it on to you. The details can be found on my blog.
    xXx Helen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! I have put your link there! Congrats!
    https://www.facebook.com/gaanchillo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am genuinely glad to read this webpage posts which carries plenty of valuable information, thanks for providing such statistics.

    http://fs.northbrook28.net/groups/jsa/wiki/95715/penis_enlargement_specifics_as_a_result_of_surface_mail.html

    http://thebuckstopsnow.org/bbpress/topic/european?replies=1#post-148001

    ReplyDelete