Friday, 22 June 2012

Finished Cat Amineko

Well, I finished him in three nights.  Next time I agree to my daughters' entreaties that I make one of these I really must start it earlier.  It is a lovely pattern and I enjoyed it a lot.  I am also very glad to have used up well over half a ball of random stash yarn that I had hanging around (King Cole Riot Chunky).   No new yarn was bought for this project, yay me.  I must say that usually I don't make presents for my daughter's friends, as I often feel that people won't appreciate the time and effort which has gone into them.  However this little girl's mummy is a knitter and a member of the crafty ladies group I meet up with, so I know that somebody in the house will understand (though I was cursing children and their demands at 1am as I finished him off).
I took loads of photos with my phone and they are almost all completely rubbish so I can only apologise for the blurry pictures.  I deliberately haven't made them large as they really aren't of a high enough quality.  I hope you get the idea though, it's such a cute pattern.  I was working from the book but the pattern is available for free here.  I stuffed his lower torso and lower leg paws with pellets wrapped in fabric so I hope they will stay put. This meant that he sits up well and has that nice bean bag heaviness.  The book contains lots of helpful information on how to put your cat together.

Next on my stash-busting list is a Groovyghan.  It looks like lots of fun but I am going to have to go out of my comfort zone and make it in really wintery shades as for some reason I have accumulated loads of them.  It will genuinely 70s groovy in colours like burnt orange and bottle green, I think it will work but it might just be supremely ugly, we'll see.  At any rate, I'm making serious inroads into my stash of acrylic now.

I would also like to point you in the direction of this Ravelry Group.  Following up a post from Sarah I have decided to try and join in with Year of Projects, many of my favourite bloggers take part in this and I really enjoy those Sunday posts.  I think my theme will be stash busting, certainly initially anyway.  I really want that stash let loose on the world.

I've got a quiet weekend ahead of me so I'm hoping to be able to spend time looking at the lovely finished objects over at Tami's blog.

30 comments:

  1. Your cat is great, I've been there finishing off making something the night before, or sewn ends while hubby is drumming fingers at me!

    Your groovyghan sounds .....groovy man! Look forward to seein it.

    Year of projects is the best thing that happened for me, it has really structured my making and challenged me.....well worth bein a p art of, although having started Ravelry searches, I will need to realise we are only talkin about one year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amineko! Love that little cat (it's still on my to-do list).

    I agree on you with the knitting for someone else, it is often misunderstood. A lot of people think yarn is very cheap and you can knit a project in just a few hours. Boy, are they wrong. I only knit projects when I am asked or when I'm really sure they will like it. It also stresses me out a bit since it has to be perfect if I give it away.

    Can't wait to see the Groovyghan! It is so groovy indeed. I might join the fun of a year of project too...I'll go take a look at the group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is cute!! You did a great job!
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job on the amineko. His eyes are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cat is cute. I didn't make many things for my own kids. When I did, they were initially excited, but the projects didn't get much worn/use. Maybe now that they are older...

    ReplyDelete
  6. He came out just super - great use of buttons! I just love that Amineko book - so witty and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you find while hookin' up this toy that toys are as much work as a garment? That's my opinion. One would think it would be quick but all the little parts, stuffing, and then sewing is work.
    The cat is great! <3 it. You did an amazing job in three days!
    I found even w/my iPhone, one has to wait at least 2 seconds before moving the phone after takin' the pic; otherwise the pic comes out blurry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the tip. I will try it with my next lot of pictures but it makes sense as the camera seems to work very slowly.

      Delete
  8. Welcome to Year of Projects. I'm also part of another group - Surmount the Stash 2012. I try to do both at the same time :) It's amazing how much can be adapted to the yarn you have when you're motivated to try!

    Your cat is darling. I love the idea of wrapped pellets to give him some gravity for sitting up. Now I feel like ripping open my Baby Bobbi Bear and restuffing him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that cat, so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cat is really gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Cat OMG it's awesome and I definitely would love to have it given to me as a gift. As for destash I am also on that drive and will be joining the Year of projects with the aim of destashing all my acrylic DK I have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great expression on his face!!!! Good work. Unfortunately, those that don't "do" the craft just don't understand the time and effort that goes into it! I've made a few stuffed animals and have never been able to part with them! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dang, now I want to do a cat along with my Teddy Bears! :-) You did a great job on it! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cat is great. He looks very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool cat! Groovy lookin Groovyghan!! Year of Projects Challenge, Way Cool, HillyT !!!
    Love and Peace to you and yours,
    Gracie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved your cat and seriously love the groovvyghan!!!! Have already put both on my To Do List! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like them Laura. I'd love to see what you come up with. I tried to see if you have a blog of your own for me to comment on but couldn't find a link so I will say thank you for your comments here!

      Delete
  17. hello HillyT

    Great puss...very well done. I like that particular shade of blue...looks like a steel blue bet it has an exotic name. How did you do that in two nights...pretty fast crocheting. I also very much like those vibrant colours you have used for the motifs in your earlier post. Is that for a blanket?

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. He is very cute, thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cat is adorable! You really outdid yourself getting him finished in three days. It would be hard for me to give away such a cutie, but it sounds like he is going to an appreciative home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. he is super cute. and bonus that no new yarn is purchased. I love using yarn I already have i have a certain sense of achievement.

    Looking forward to the next project.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh he's soooo cute ... I'm half way througha crochet cat, but some other projects have put it on the back burner ... maybe you've just refreshed my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely cat, he's absolutely gorgeous.... and I love the "no new yarn was purchased for this project"!

    ReplyDelete
  23. He is absolutely adorable. You made a great choice with the eyes, I always struggle getting the eyes right on stuffed critters

    ReplyDelete
  24. He's great (why is it he...just looks like one i suppose !) I have made two-oddly enough in almost the same shade of blue as yours;one for my sis in UK -she hasn't received it yet,its part of her "birthday bag" for August and the other one lives with me in S.W.France,sprawling on the top of a bookcase and occasionally enjoying the sun on the outside window ledges,leaning against the shutters. I think my two took a bit longer-you are one quick worker mrs !Have a nice weekend,kind regards, Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  25. he's gorgeous! Totally love him and sounds like he is going to a good crafty home.
    Looking forward to seeing your progress on the Groovygan.
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a gorgeous cat :-) I'm sure she'll be appreciated but I know what you mean about making gifts for people, most of them don't deserve it!

    Oh I have the groovyghan on my list, it's so fabulous!

    Lori xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. It looks so cool and hard to make. Waiting for the next one.

    ReplyDelete