Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Wonderwool Wales

First I would like to say how much I have enjoyed everybody's Eskimo posts.  They have been so much fun to read and have given me lots of inspiration.  I was sad not to take part after day one but I came down with a stinking cold which is only just going, I certainly didn't feel up to thinking of something interesting to write every day.  Luckily I had plenty of brilliant blog posts to read while mooching on the sofa, I'm sorry I didn't comment on more of them.  I try and make a point of commenting as much as possible but my head was just too full of cold to allow me to string a sentence together!

On Sunday I ventured out to Wonderwool Wales, a good couple of hours drive from me.  The weather was simply diabolical, absolutely filthy, which you wouldn't think would matter very much as it was under cover, but actually it was freeeeezing, because essentially it is just a big shed.  However, it was a big shed full to the brim of beautiful yarns and lovely things to look at and peruse.  I have to say that I was very restrained, possibly because I was feeling quite sorry for myself in my sad state of sickness and cold wet feet, but there wasn't any shortage of things to tempt me.  I think Faith is right when she says that she didn't know where to start...that's exactly how I felt.  I'd meant to buy a skein of laceweight for a beautiful shawl I would like to make, but I was so overwhelmed that I couldn't seem to settle on a colour. I did pick up some lovely things though.
This scarf kit just sung to me, I adore the colours and sometimes I like to have a bit of a knit so this one found its way home.  There were lots of beautiful kits on that stall, the website is here.
This pink was a total bargain at £10 for 5 50g skeins of baby alpaca.  I will be making some sort of shawl out of this (or maybe even two) as it feels divine.

I didn't take the camera with me as I knew I wouldn't want to lug it about all day and I was feeling a bit delicate. At the quilt show in Malvern a lot of the stalls specify that they don't want you to take pictures and I thought this would be the same, though in fact I didn't see any such signs at this show.  I certainly enjoyed it and I would love to go again, possibly a little more prepared for the weather conditions.  All four of us had a fun day.  My sister was the most extravagant, picking up some stunning skeins, I'll show you what she makes with them if I can.  My Mother in Law didn't buy anything, but she assured me that she enjoyed the spectacle just as much as I did.  My friend picked up a bargain or two as well.  It was certainly worth the trip.

See you tomorrow for WIP Wednesday.




9 comments:

  1. WOw that baby alpaca is gorgeous and what a bargain! I can't say I saw any/many bargains, but I certainly did see lots of lovely things. The scarf looks lovely, stripes are a big favourite of mine.

    My mil goes to the quilt show in Malvern each year, its in the next few weeks isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better. Looks like you got some lovely yarn, one year I will make it down there (possibly leaving all my money at home for safety)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely colour wool and a total bargain too. I'm glad to hear that you are now on the mend too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The yarns that followed you home are lovely and it will be fun to see what you create with them. I'm working on a Queen Anne's Lace scarf, some spinning and need to crochet a bib for a gift. I'm cheering you on to better health...we are having days of showers here in the Portland, OR, USA, too, if that helps. (: <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always a thrill to pick up yarn, yeah? Hope you're feeling betta now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That wool loooks lovely, and I am the same with the Eskimimi posts. I only posted one and then lost my inspiration to write anymore. I now have a cold boo, hope your feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, such lovely wooliness has joined your family! I look forward to seeing what magic you create from it. I love to tell my grandchildren I can make fabric from string and a hook. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I do love the scarf colours looks scrummy.

    Hope your feeling better very soon,way too many bugs about with this odd weather we are getting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you are feeling much better now! I love all the yarn you have brought to your home. I´m looking forward to see what you will do with it!
    Get well soon! xxxBarbina

    ReplyDelete