Tuesday, 22 May 2012

In which I fall out with my sewing machine.

What a difference some blue sky and a new day can make.

Yesterday I thought I would sew a little project bag.  It did not go well and I wrote a very sulky post about it last night which I did not post because it occurred to me that it is slightly absurd to get soooo het up over a bit of sewing.  The bag was for me, there was no deadline, it was meant to be fun, but it just wasn't.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I hemmed it wrongly, partly because I think the tutorial I was following employed a strange method to get the thing to be tidy inside, and by the end of the evening this had happened to my sewing machine, who was put in the naughty corner...
Well, you have to look pretty closely but the needle snapped.  I went to bed very grumpy, I've been having one of those months where nothing goes right and it felt like the final straw.  Ridiculous I know but there you are.

So today, after dropping of L at school, B and I took advantage of the wonderful weather (oh the world felt so much better this morning when I saw real, warm sunshine) and tootled into town to buy some more sewing machine needles.  We went round a few shops and looked at the bunting and generally had a mooch.  It was lovely.

I took a few snaps of our walk into Hilly Town with my iphone so I'm sorry the quality isn't great...
The field behind our house, so many buttercups this year!
B picked a buttercup for L.  She does love her big sister so very much.
Bunting over Hilly Town, I wish I'd had my proper camera but I will do tomorrow.  It's a bit bulky for a quick tootle into town.

Then we came home, I watched a tutorial about how to change the needle (easy peasy) and B had a rest in front of the TV.  Since she doesn't sleep any more I find that she needs to have a sit for a bit after lunch or she's miserable by supper time.

Half an hour later I had this...
to keep little projects in, like the one I will show you tomorrow.  I can't say I am thrilled with it, but I know how I will improve it when I make another one, possibly tonight.  I love the fabrics, they were very cheap and cheerful from Dunelm MIll, the ribbon I have had stashed for ages.  I bought it from a beautiful wool shop in Bradford On Avon when visiting my sister and I've been saving it for the perfect project where I get to see it a lot.

There is great excitement in my house at the moment over the Olympics.  The torch comes our way tomorrow (I will take the camera), and I have managed to secure tickets for a few of the Paralympic events which L is besides herself with excitement about.  I really wanted them to feel they had been part of London 2012 and I'm glad that they will.  Much more on that to come, starting on Thursday.  Now, off to enjoy the sunshine again.

8 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, sometimes it's just that one last thing that pushes us over the edge and makes us feel the world is against us! Glad to see you have blue skies today too though, I don't know about you but I can't help but be happy today!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bag looks great! I wish I could do something like that too. I have got a sewing machine for my birthday 2 month ago and still I haven´t done anything. Besides trying all the stiches. It scares me a bit, if I´m honest. To crochet is so much easier for me.
    Love your sunny pictures!
    xxxBarbina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't let it get you down, I often have phases like that where nothing seems to go right on those occasions i do something different and go back to it with a fresh mind. Your bag looks lush.
    Im loving your sunny day photos, the sun seems to bring out the best in people and makes everyone happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you got in a better mood about things. Your iphone photos are great, I use mine all the time for my blog. What an adorable little girl you have. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a little award for you over on my blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pictures, bag, daughter, and you changed the needle on your machine! Bravo! I have yet to make friends with any sewing machine and I am 61, so I do need to get on with it(: One blogging friend missed the torch coming through her town yesterday, but perhaps you will catch a photo of it for me tomorrow? <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bag is very cute. I have something of a love hate relationship with my sewing machine. We generally fall out at least once during a project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute bag. I don't blame you for being grumpy about the challenges. When one is so excited to try a new project and things happen to stop the FO from coming out, yeah, I'd feel the same way too.
    But glad you got to stroll in the sunshine w/your princess who is rockin' that bag her mum hooked up for her.
    My little one always thinks of her older sister; it doesn't always go the same way in reverse.

    ReplyDelete