Friday, 18 May 2012

FO Friday

A couple of little finished objects from me this week, I actually completed them last week but didn't post because they were for a friend and I wasn't sure if she might pop over for a look at the blog and the surprise might be ruined.

My friend has recently reacquainted herself with a longstanding love of embroidery so I made her a little pincushion and needle case...
They were both improvised, though of course I used the beautiful African Flower motif to get me going with the pincushion.  I enjoyed making the pincushion so much that I jotted down how I did it in my big notebook in the hope I would get round to sharing it with you.  I know that many of you will see how I did it just by looking but I might save you a bit of counting and unpicking.  I have now nearly made at least three more of these, they are very simple and satisfying and done within a couple of hours.  I will also take a couple of pictures of my new, super easy, method of stuffing them as they are really better with a lining so that the stuffing stays put.  I've seen lots of pincushions about, but my one is far more substantial, the perfect present for a friend who likes to sew.

The needle case I was not quite so pleased with.  I find it very hard to get nice straight edges when I'm working back and forth in stripes.  If anybody has any useful tips on this I would be very grateful.  I made the inside by sewing together some rectangles of felt with a straight line down the middle so they looked like a book, then sticking the outside one onto the stripes' back with the aid of some wundaweb.  Oh the joys of yarn one can iron.
The cotton is King Cole Cottonsoft and it is fabulous to crochet with.  It isn't splitty at all and it comes in a small but lovely range of colours.  It's also very well priced at £3.50 for 100g ball at Along Came Polly in Cainscross, Stroud (one of my LYSs).  I don't work for them, just thought I would give them a mention as that's where I buy the majority of my yarn and they are always very helpful.

I'm looking forward to getting back in the loop with everybody's finished objects at Tami's Ami's this weekend. It's always well worth a look.

12 comments:

  1. Hello HillyT

    I am one of your fairly new followers :-)

    The pincushion is really sweet and I do hope you post the pattern here I'd love to make one for my sister. She sews! I also like the matching needle case but find I also have the same problem as you when edging stripes...I've tried to put it down to its the handmade effect but I am still going to be on the look out here to see if anyone has a tip about making the edging smoother.

    have a great weekend

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet gift for your friend, it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's ONE LUCKY FRIEND! How thoughtful and sweet! Presents are so much fun! Especially if they're "just because". Well done! Annette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty. I just love the African Flower motif and what a clever way to integrate it into a project. Your friend will love these presents I'm sure. I'm all for trumpeting out a good review of your LYS - I only wish it were closer so that I could come see for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEautiful gift and colors wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your FOs look great. I love the african flower pattern and your variation is a great idea. Along came Polly is a super shop, I like to go there when I visit my sister

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely gifts, I bet your friend was really pleased with them. I love the colours, our LYS doesn't stock any king cole, so I've never used it before, is it 100% cotton?

    I don't profess to get straight edges, but I think it may be something to do with turning chains and working into the last stitch, I can never remember when you're supposed to work into the last turning chain or not....in fact the more I crochet, I'm never quite sure if I do the same as other people or have made my own form of crocheting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome gifts! I love love love that pincushion. If I promise to sew more will you make me one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of those are sweet gifts :O).

    ReplyDelete
  10. What nice gifts you made for your friend! Friends are the best. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The little pincushion is adorable, I love the motif you have chosen to use for it he he :) Unfortunately i have no advice on straight edges :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the pincushion- such a clever idea!
    My question/advice for straight edges: if you are using a dc stitch (US terminology), you should be working in the turning chain OR working in the first stitch- not both. That is where I often have problems. Not knowing what stitch you are using, however, means I could be totally wrong. HTH

    ReplyDelete