A couple of little finished objects from me this week, I actually completed them last week but didn't post because they were for a friend and I wasn't sure if she might pop over for a look at the blog and the surprise might be ruined.
My friend has recently reacquainted herself with a longstanding love of embroidery so I made her a little pincushion and needle case...
African Flower motif to get me going with the pincushion. I enjoyed making the pincushion so much that I jotted down how I did it in my big notebook in the hope I would get round to sharing it with you. I know that many of you will see how I did it just by looking but I might save you a bit of counting and unpicking. I have now nearly made at least three more of these, they are very simple and satisfying and done within a couple of hours. I will also take a couple of pictures of my new, super easy, method of stuffing them as they are really better with a lining so that the stuffing stays put. I've seen lots of pincushions about, but my one is far more substantial, the perfect present for a friend who likes to sew.
The needle case I was not quite so pleased with. I find it very hard to get nice straight edges when I'm working back and forth in stripes. If anybody has any useful tips on this I would be very grateful. I made the inside by sewing together some rectangles of felt with a straight line down the middle so they looked like a book, then sticking the outside one onto the stripes' back with the aid of some wundaweb. Oh the joys of yarn one can iron.
I'm looking forward to getting back in the loop with everybody's finished objects at Tami's Ami's this weekend. It's always well worth a look.