Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Flying Diamonds

Just a flying visit from me today as I'm off to see the Olympic Torch make its way around Hilly Town today with two very excited little people and I need to get some jobs done first.

I had no intention of making a shawl this week, it just sort of happened.  I had a ball of sock wool and a pattern and the two came together one evening.  I find shawls very comforting to make, though not of much use generally, so I tend to make them when I need a small, quick, reassuring something to work on.

I can't tell you how lovely it is to be able to take objects outside and photograph them.  The sunshine is really cheering me up this week.  The pattern is Flying Diamonds and it is available for a bargain price on Ravelry.  It is extremely easy to make and after the first three repeats I have hardly had to refer to the pattern or diagram at all...
The yarn is Regia Hand-Dyed Effects sock yarn in a sort of eau de Nil colour which I am trying very hard not to think of as vaguely the colour of phlegm. It looks far better in the project than it did in the ball as the greyish and bluish sections temper the acidic green.  I don't know why I chose it really, it just sort of found its way home, but I think I am coming to like it again: it will be pretty on a summer evening.  I only have one ball but my sister says this yarn really grows with blocking.  I'm using a 5mm hook so it drapes properly.

It also fits well in the new small project bag I showed you in my last post so that pleases my tidy little mind.

I'm sure there are lots of lovely projects to be seen this week at Tami's Ami's, I can't wait to have a look this evening.

23 comments:

  1. Wow!
    Did you really manage to do that in a week?
    Its lovely and just the right time of the year for shawls....

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the Regia extra merino twist yarn to make a shawl (Flying Geese - also on Ravelry) - and can certainly vouch for it growing with blocking. Your shawl is looking beautiful, and the colour just perfect for summery evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your shwal. Very summery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shawl is stunning!!!
    Hope seeing the Olympic torch was good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty!! I want see the Olympic torch!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning. Your quick knitter it takes me all week to knit a square that's about 3" :-(

    Beautiful shawl and hope u enjoy the olyimpic torch' run by :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty. Sounds exciting getting to watch the torch. I always think it looks cool on tv when they show the person running and all those in support.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty shawl! Have fun seeing the torch! I can't wait for it to come to Durham!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty!! We are enjoying the sunshine up here in Scotland too, it makes such a difference after a month and a half of cold rain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your shawls really pretty and I also like the colour!
    Glad to see you won your fight with the sewing machine and got
    your bag completed, it's really cute.

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is beautiful and perfect for summer wearing! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. IT's a cute shawl. Reminds me of an arctic ice tunnel with a thin roof, sparkling in color w/the sun shining down upon it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that makes it sounds wonderful, and kind of makes me like it again. Thank you.

      Delete
  13. Lovely shawl! I agree, I find comfort in making shawls, however, I don't always find occasion to wear them. I think the color is lovely, like pale early spring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, how exciting for your little ones to get to see the Olympic Torch make its way through your town! Once in a lifetime moment! I hope that we get to see pictures of the event.

    The shawl is looking gorgeous. I think that both the pattern and colors are lovely, especially with the sunlight shining through it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a really pretty shawl. I love the aqua color!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so pretty! And I'm impressed (and more than a little jealous) at your shawl speed. That's lightning fast!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to feel the same way about shawls, but I finally decided that I wanted to wear the pretty things that I was making! Now I wear them all the time! And since I'm very casual, that means it's usually with jeans and a button down or even a t-shirt! Plus they're so easy to just toss in my bag when I don't need it. Give it a try, you might be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely shawl.

    Did you see the torch, me & H had an awesome time at the racecourse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did see it, the next post along has photos and a description. It was a really fun occasion wasn't it?

      Delete
  19. Stunning Harriet! Your fingers must move so fast to be able to complete this in a week! Love the colour too! Hugs, Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW that shawl looks awesome

    ReplyDelete