Sunday, 27 May 2012

Exciting Times

Before I get into my post I would like to say a big thank you to those who read and comment on my posts.  I really enjoy the blogging world and it makes me happy to pop on to the computer and read your comments.

This has been an exciting week.  I managed to get myself a little job.  I realised that I wasn't going to get back into the world of work and be able to pick up where I left off for numerous reasons.  The most important one being that I need to be around for my girls as their daddy has a job which does not allow him to be here all the time.  I am their continuity and I am happy to be able to provide that for them.  The job I had was a consuming one, and I knew I wouldn't be able to put the energy into it that was needed.  As a result I have found myself a connected job but with less responsibility and far shorter hours (and, of course, less pay, but hey...)  I have really been feeling the need to get back to work recently, I'm a sociable person and as the girls spend more and more time out of the house I seem to spend more and more time alone it it.  It was getting me down and I found myself obsessing about silly things.  Definitely time for a shake up.

There are lots of us bloggers who periodically think about going back to work and the benefits or disadvantages of doing so.  I hope it will be possible for me to keep you posted with how it is going and my feelings leading up to it.  It's a big step for me and I want to document it, perhaps it might even be useful to some others who are in a similar quandary.

In my happy crafty world, where the normal worries of everyday life are not allowed to show their pesky little faces and where this blog mostly resides, I have finished my Flying Diamonds Shawl...
What a pure pleasure this shawl was from start to finish.  Those diamonds really do fly of the hook, it was so fast to work on and the pattern was logical enough to memorise quickly but still kept my interest.  The yarn I now really like the colour of and I think I will wear it on chilly evenings this summer.

It was a correct assumption that the shawl would increase in size with blocking.  I've put the details on my ravelry project page here.
I would just like to mention my new blocking boards.  For those of you in the UK Tesco are selling four large interlocking foam mats for children to play on at a really good price.  I have found they are perfect for blocking larger objects and live very happily out of the way under my sofa.

Right, that's all from me for today.  I have started a new and exciting little crochet project but I'm going to save it up to share on Wednesday.  I hope you have all had lovely weekends.

24 comments:

  1. awww congrats on the job.I totally love the shawl and the colour is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindo, lindo, lindo.
    Parabéns.
    Beijo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on getting a little job, I hope it perks you back up and stops you from feeling lovely.

    Your shawl is absolutely amazing...I love the intricate detail in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful shawl and thanks for the tesco board tip too. Will keep you posted re crafty/crochet/sewing session as its due again soon x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This shawl is fabulous! Congrats on your new job. Blessings to you for this coming week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your new job!! how exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for the new job! I love how your flying diamonds turned out, so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When my youngest was in kindergarden I found a just right job for myself and thoroughly enjoyed it! I hope you will find joy in your new job, too.
    The shawl is stunning and you took such lovely photos of it to share with us. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teaser! :-) What kind of job did you get? I was asked to take the job of executive director for a non-profit group when my youngest of 3 was finally in school and spent 15 years at that job. 3/4 time. I was able to do a good thing for the community and still feel very involved with my kids lives. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a job as a teaching assistant. I'm actually a qualified teacher but there's no way I can do that at the moment. It really is all about being part of my kids everyday lives for me, it sounds as if it was the same for you.

      Delete
  10. I'm a full time worker, and I read lots of blogs with such a huge amount of jealousy at all the crafting time ya'll seem to have!!

    Gorgeous shawl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFLMAO, I think the reason we may have a bit more time for crafting is because we no longer go out in the evenings!

      Delete
  11. Brilliant news on the job, I'm so chuffed for you!

    That shawl is beautiful, you did a brilliant job, it will be gorgeous on a summers evening! And thanks for the tesco tip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great news on the job, congratulations. Your shawl is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great news with the job! I just went back to work after about 5 years and it was an interesting transition. Have fun! I think getting out of the house now and then is good for a person. Your shawl is just lovely, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh congrat's on the new job. Is hard trying to do the child care part but know exactly what you mean about them needing you less. We went to the beach yesturday and I assumed (this is where I went wrong) that H would want to come, but no he wanted to spend day with mates!!

    I love this shawl crotchet is so versitle I have only ever really seen knitted shawls but this looks devine.

    Thanks for the link about the blocking matts what an ingenous idea would never have thought of, I just get loads of towls out which is a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wishing you a lovely weekend too and congrats on getting your new job. I don't have any children but I know of the struggle that working moms have. Cheers to you for finding balance -- finding a place for you and being their for your children.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done on getting yourself a little job. It's always hard finding a flexible work solution when you have younger children.

    I love your shawl, the colour is beautiful. What yarn did you use? I'm going to have to add this to my ever growing Rav queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was regia hand dyed effect sock yarn and I found it pleasant to crochet with. I can't remember the colourway but the details are on my ravelry page (link above). Thank you for your kind comment.

      Delete
  17. Congrats on the job, and I hope it ll goes well, I reduced my hours (and pay) to get a better work life balance...where there is a will there is a way. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on the new job :-)

    Love the shawl!!! It looks so lacy and pretty and the colour is fab. Great tip for the blocking boards I'll have to check them out :-)

    Lori xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done on the new job. Really interested in what it is? Is it crafty, or connected with what you were doing before? Or both? I went back to work part-time after having 8 years off to bring up my kids. Now I love my job, which is in a school, and having enough time for my own children and crafty stuff. Although I earn a fraction of what I used to, and I think work just as hard, it is much more rewarding. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a job as a TA. I'm a qualified teacher but know I don't have the time to give that at the moment. Thank you for reading my blog and your comment.

      Delete
  20. I often have the same debate with myself about going back to work, but have stayed home for the same reasons. It may change as my youngest starts school full days, but I don't know how I would manage with my husband's crazy schedule sometimes.

    I love your shawl. So delicate and a beautiful pattern. The photo outside is particularly lovely.

    ReplyDelete