Wednesday, 4 April 2012

WIP Wednesday, the Butterfly B Bag.

Ages ago I emailed the designer of this lovely square, Chris Simon, and asked if she would mind me incorporating her Butterfly Stitch into a bag, the pattern for which I was hoping to share on my little blog.  She quickly emailed back to say that she didn't mind at all, for which I was very grateful.  Well, that was well before Christmas but this week I decided the time had come to have a go at a project which has been niggling away in my mind for ages.

I wanted to make B a little bag to carry on walks and to the shops.  I would like it to go across her body to keep her arms free for important things, like holding my hand and picking up acorns.  She wants it to be pink.  Last time I made a pilgrimage to Get Knitted I found that they stocked the new King Cole Cotton Soft, which is ideal for projects like this.  Happily it will soon be stocked by my LYS as well which is great because I have really enjoyed using it and I do like to support my local shop as much as I can.

This is how far I have got with the little bag...
I'm trying to make careful notes so that I can share a pattern on my blog when I have a chance.  B chose the colour herself, it is called Candy and is actually a little lighter than it seems in this picture.  I'm hoping to have it finished and lined by Friday but I won't be doing any tonight because Mr HT (who took the above picture incidentally and also the one of my father in the previous post) and I are going to see The Hunger Games.  I have no problem jumping on the bandwagon and going to see this, though I do think the pre-text of the book and film seems to be rather an unpleasant one.  Still, we shall see.

Tomorrow I will enjoy looking at some more WIPs on Tami's Blog.

A huge thank you for the kind comments about my finished Union Flag Cushion, I am thinking of making some of these in a variety of less traditional colours and in chunky wool to use as floor cushions in the girls' playroom/conservatory.  I enjoyed making that one so much!  I've also received a couple of blog awards which I have not properly posted about, thank you to the kind givers and I'll make sure I set this right in the next few days.

20 comments:

  1. Your daughter has great tastes, love the color. I picked out a similar pink for my eight-year old daughter. I've run out of the skeins I'd purchased, so I'm hoping they have more in stock. My daughter loves pink!

    The purse is beautifully made, great job! Last evening, I made a mini purse for one of my daughter’s Monster High dolls; Clawdeen Wolf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I will keep an eye out for the pattern :)

    I spotted your Union Jack cushion in my feed reader and didn't get chance to comment but I think it's wonderful!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is lovely! My girls love pink too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo the bag looks very interesting and I look forward to the finished project.
    I'm not sure about the hunger James I think it may upset me. I have the book to read but when it comes to things like that I am a little tender. I hope you enjoy the film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made lots of lovely things recently, this little bag is gorgeous and your cushion and shawl on the previous posts are lovely too.

    I must seek out that flag cushion, I've always fancied doing it in pink and baby blue, which I know is very overdone, but as I don't have one I'd like to have a go myself.

    Anyway, I'm adding too many projects to an already long list! Have a good'un!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished the butterfly square, and I love how you incorporated the pattern in the bag! Such a pretty design- I must keep my eyes out for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that pink is so flirty and girly! I love the way it's knitting-up! The butterfly stitch looks wonderful as a border stitch along the top of your bag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I really like those butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how sweet! I can't wait to see the pattern (and would be happy to test/proofread for you, if you need?), and it's lovely that the designer of the butterfly stitch doesn't mind you reworking and sharing her (lovely) stitch. The bag looks amazing so far, that's just the perfect colour for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is looking so pretty! Love that shade of pink. I would love to make one for my nieces (and myself), so thank you for taking notes and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pink bag. Can't wait to see it finished. Thanks for visting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that looks like it's going to be gorgeous! The yarn looks lovely and a proper pink.
    Can't wait for the pattern, it would make some great girly presents and who doesn't like butterflies!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh loving the vibrant pink awesmone!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bag looks great! Your daughter will love it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous bag, I love the stitch and the colour is perfectly pink :-)

    Happy Easter,
    love Lori xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so like the girliness of Candy. It'll be so cute to see little Miss B swingin' that along and all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, that color is eye-candy and the design will be so girl-friendly! I look forward to seeing the final result! I got the pattern for the flag and look forward to making a cushion - it would look neat in our trailer, don't you think?
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a gorgeous pink!

    My week's offering... http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/keep-calm-and-craft-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the pink bag! Pink is my favorite color! I can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's looking gorgeous. Love the colour. I will keep my eye open for your pattern. My little niece is a big fan of bags and shoes. I will have to make it for her too. :-)

    ReplyDelete