Wednesday, 18 April 2012

The meditative qualities of a Granny Square.

This month sees me undertaking the redecoration of my sitting room.  My house has a rather unusual layout as the previous people extended downwards into the cellar, leading to a rather dark, but fabulously convenient sitting room to complement our upstairs living area.

There are many benefits to this arrangement.  For example, we can keep our stupidly huge TV (a lucky purchase from a friend who was moving to UAE and couldn't take it with him) down there and nobody need know about it and the children's toys can live in the adjacent conservatory and not all over the floor. I have come to think of this room as a real family 'Den' as my friends in the USA would term it, a room for chilling out, playing on the play station, watching movies or TV box sets and the like.  With this in mind I have decided to go for a really bright but light colour scheme down there, with a slight 70's groove.

I recently purchased a great deal of this (amazingly well priced at £3.99 a metre) fabric from from Ikea and, whilst I wait for one of my wonderful female relatives to show me how to make curtains, I thought I would get to work on some lovely big crochet cushion covers to brighten up out decrepit sofa.  I love the giant granny squares scattered around crochet community, but couldn't really see myself making one until I realised that they make rather a lovely cushion cover.  My reasoning was that if I got bored I could make a small cushion and if I didn't I would make a large one.  I think it will be quite a large one in the end...
I am enjoying making this so much, I had forgotten the peaceful, meditative quality of granny squares.  The colours are all from one of my three boxes (I know, ridiculous) of Stylecraft Special DK and I was only able to choose the colours which went best as I did not have perfect matches and have no desire to buy any more at the moment.  I am desperate to run down my scraps of this yarn to make a bit of space and cushion covers are the perfect way of doing so.  The scraps are all from my Granny Stripe except for the cream, which I have been stockpiling as it is so useful.  The cream will feature heavily in all the cushion covers to bounce some light back at the french windows.
I don't think it will matter that they aren't a perfect match as the sofa is on the other side of the room from the curtains, it is more about a feeling of brightness and space than being aiming for perfection.  I am thinking of this as part of this year's (so far failed attempt) to make a Pretty Crafty Home, it needs to happen.

I have no intention of making more than one of any particular cushion design.  I need to make about six good sized cushions and to keep it fun I'm going to make them all different but mostly using these colours and possibly a plum and a green which don't really fit in the Granny Square but may work elsewhere.  Luckily there is no shortage in inspiration on Ravelry, Flickr and other wonderful blogs.  I'm spoilt for great ideas.

Sorry for the wordy post, I'll take some before and after pictures of the Den to share with you all at a later point. It's too dark now and anyway I could do with the advice of Mr HT, who takes far better pictures than me.

Can I just suggest though, to anybody who is feeling the stress of life in general at the moment, that they should embrace the meditative qualities of the granny square, the joyous release of using up those scraps of acrylic, and the nesting joy which is making cushions?  You will feel better for it I promise, and I for one will love to see the results.

I wonder if anybody else at Tami's is on a cushion jaunt at the moment...

18 comments:

  1. They go well together I think altho I'm not particularly experienced in the decorating department. I'm likin' Grany cushions more and more. When I get off of my arse and start cleaning out the office one day during the summer I want to make some for my daughters' rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bright colors you picked out! And I agree, I love making grannies because they are so simple :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so with you on the joy of a simple granny square. I currently on a mission to revamp the cushions in our lounge so I am very grateful for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear... I knew that was Ikea fabric before I even read it and whats more I don't own this fabric! I've just spent a *lot* of time in there... :p

    You're making good use of those scraps and it matches your fabric well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you.....crochet grannies or granny stripes are a good way to while the hours by......I loved doing my big striped blanket, and I know i'll do another for that reason.

    Your chosen colours for your den are great, especially as you say it's quite dark. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't done me a giant granny yet, I am still put off by all the ends to be weaved in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must say, that photo of that fabric and your outstandingly gorgeous granny pillow cover is *eye-candy*!! You did a great job choosing the colors! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sometimes add a round to a granny stripe blanket that I stopped working on a looooong time ago. Lately I feel the urge to continue it, so sometimes I work on it during a movie. I don't have to count or pay much attention. Aren't grannies awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love granny squares and thinking of undertaking one myself. I love your material it's so funky!
    The idea of a den is fab too your so lucky :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Granny is so wonderful! The colours are just perfect to cheer any room up and compliment that fabric so well. Can wait to see your room progress!!
    I don't know if it will help, but I found some great tutorials online for help with curtain making, especially on the Channel 4 website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll take a look. I'm a bit nervous about cutting into my fabric though so I'll probably still wait for some moral support!

      Delete
  11. I love how that looks, it will be a fabulous cushion. I am of the opinion that things shouldn't match perfectly, so I like this combo very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am of that opinion as well, I'm hoping it will all hang together well enough.

      Delete
  12. I agree, they are the best for relaxing! And plus afterwards they sit around making the house look happy and granny-rific too!
    Love the colours in your fabric, it is lush!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your den sounds wonderful! A great place to have fun with the family :o) Your idea of bright crochet cushions is fabulous and will definitely both brighten and liven up any room. The meditative quality of knit and crochet is a saver for me and out crazy busy life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I just found your blog and I love your cushions, I think they are fab.

    ReplyDelete