Tuesday, 3 April 2012

A Birthday and a Finished Object

On Sunday we went over to Hereford to visit my parents on my Father's birthday.  We were so lucky that the sun was shining and we were able to enjoy their lovely little garden and a walk to lift our post-lunch torpor.

This is quite a photo heavy post, I'm going to start off with my Union Flag cushion.  I absolutely loved making this project, it was reasonably challenging but so well written that it went like a breeze.  I am eternally grateful to Kim for suggesting that I turn some of my lovely ribbon into a little store style label for the edge.  I would never have thought of doing so but I think it worked perfectly.  Here it is at my house...
and here it is in my parents' garden soon after it had been opened and admired...
you can see the colours better in this one.  I had a bit of trouble with the back and wished afterwards I had just made one out of fabric but I am sure this was my fault rather than that of the pattern.  Teresa commented that she was having trouble finding the pattern so here is a link to the relevant etsy page.  I would definitely buy another Royal Sisters pattern, in fact I have my eye on one already.  I can't see this particular pattern on there right now, but I am sure she will restock it very soon, it's almost always there but perhaps it is selling fast because of the Jubilee.  Thank you Michelle for writing a great pattern to give to the men in the family, a real challenge at times.

So after relaxing and chatting with my sisters and their families in the garden (here is the Birthday Boy)...
we went for a short walk up to a local Hereford viewing point...
Somewhere in this green outlook is a genuine medieval meadow, I need to find out more of the significance of that (I've been saying this for a while).  It occurs to me that I am really going to miss having little girls to dress up in party dresses one day, sigh.

After that we went home for tea and cake...
and I just wanted to show L's homemade card, which I thought was rather nice, and tactfully made in her Grandpa's favourite colour, yellow...
I hope you had a lovely weekend to.

15 comments:

  1. I live your cushion I want to make one! It looks like u had great weather for your days adventure. I love the home made card. There really is nothing better than getting a home made card for the little ones :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely family day, I bet your Dad loves the cushion and the homemade card. :) Great job. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely cushion! I love the little ribbon tag too!

    S x

    PS - Congrats on correct use of Union 'Flag' too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful!!!!! And added birthday wishes for the birthday boy!!! It's wonderful that he could celebrate another birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great pillow! I kinda want a few to dot around my house now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It came out fantastic! I LOVE it. It's so cute there on the garden chair. Your dad is very handsome and boy what a dresser! 'da Man's got swagga. Pop that colla!
    Sweet, sweet card your daughter made; grandparents love those best yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a glorious day you all had - so fitting for the birthday boy :)
    I absolutely adore this cushions, you have done an outstanding job and you know what, I am so gonna do this cushion now too, after seeing the magic you created here.
    And I am so giddy that the label idea worked - I wasn't sure if I explained it right but apparently so ;) It looks great on the cushion

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super duper WOW.. you did a fantastic job and the little tag makes it looks so very professional.. BRAVO! *H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* to your handsome daddy. Treasure him. Your little girls looked like flowers all in their little dresses.. I bet their grandpa adores them a lot! I found the pattern and bought it.. you're so nice to give their link and all. Gorgeous photos, my friend! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures, and really fabulous cushion! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cushion looks fantastic, and that ribbon tag is perfect!!
    What a wonderful homemade card, they are always the best ones to receive! What a lucky Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful piece of work! And the ribbon idea...brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All the photos are lovely!! And that cushion is such a nice gift! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A late happy birthday to you dad! Totally love the pillow, it looks really modern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the cushion! I am in the middle of a "jubilee" outfit for one of my girls - it is FULL of union jacks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow that cushion is fabulous! what a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete