Monday, 23 April 2012

3KCBWDAY1 - Colour Lovers

Seriously, I am such a bandwagon jumper.  I had decided not to participate in this lovely idea, not because I didn't want to but because I wasn't sure I really could.  I have a mad week and am not organised enough to have written posts ahead, but here I am, because so many other blogs I love are taking part and I couldn't bear to be left out.

So, here are a few ramblings on the subject of colour.

I think that colour is the most difficult aspect of crochet to get right and I know that I am more often unhappy with my colour choices than happy.  I have also learnt that it is sometimes possible to temper this disappointment with the judicious application of other colours to moderate the effects of the ones which have gone wrong.  When I look at some blogs (Attic 24 and Crochet with Raymond are two of my absolute favourites but others spring to mind as well) I am struck by how well some people understand colour and how to make it work for them.  I have no idea whether this is innate or learnt.  I played the piano quite well as a child and people sometimes used to say "you are so lucky to have such a gift".  This was very kind, but innate musicality is only a very small part of playing an instrument well, the most part is the thousands and thousands of hours of practise which, at some point in our lives, we put into it.

I am not suggesting that these colour gurus practise in the same way but I think they have spent time learning about and making observations about colour, whether formally and informally.  This is not something I had ever done until I took up crochet a couple of years ago, and it's taking a while to understand anything at all.  My stash looks like a rainbow was sick in a box and my Ravelry project pages reflect this.  At the moment I mix everything with cream, because nothing looks as bad when thoroughly mixed up with cream, on the other hand I'm not convinced that anything particularly sparkles either.

These are my most recent couple of projects, they are cushion fronts...
I like the one on the left, as of this morning I did not like the one on the right.  I think it's the plum (second colour in) that's wrong.  Anyway, I had been staring at it all day wondering whether to frog it or use it as a back, then I did this...
and I realised that just by adding the pink I had balanced it out a bit and, while I don't like it as much as the granny square, I no longer hate it.  A year ago I would have given it to the girls for a dolly blanket, so obviously I am learning.

Colour is so fundamental to crochet that it seems almost pointless to say that it is fundamental to crochet but I am hoping that by beginning to understand a little I can make a real difference to my home environment.  These cushion covers are destined for this room, decorated by the last occupants (including the canvases)...
I chose a colourful approach because I realised it was needed, I realised that because as soon as I put my Granny Stripe (colours exactly as Lucy's) in there the whole room instantly became more welcoming. A year ago I'd have been a bit half hearted in my introduction of colour, nowadays I feel a lot braver.  It's a slow process, but so worthwhile.

If you type the code in my blog title into google there will be lots more bloggers writing about colour, they are amazing, you should definitely read some of them.


26 comments:

  1. You should definitely be brave with your colour. Just look what you did today with the cushion cover......and it worked! (incidentally, the one on the right is my fave because of the plum!

    Really enjoyed reading your post,

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 'a rainbow threw up in my stash box' statement has made my evening.....brilliant!

    Isn't it amazing how adding one colour can change how the other ones sit.....I've definitely found projects looking like they were ready to be frogged, rectified by the addition of the next colour....but then I do love stripey things....and if I'm not sure I just add another colour into the mix!

    I've not prewritten my posts either....goodness knows how this is going to work! Loved your first post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh your words are so encouraging. I too have often struggled with my color choices and hated having to "live with it". I have a much better time (although not much better) choosing colors for other people. I think the pink edge looks like it was just what it needed!! http://junebuginthesun.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think both of your cushion covers are lovely! The pink was a nice addition to the one that was bothering you. I feel like learning which colors work together takes some time, experimentation, and paying attention to the world around you (the things you like and dislike). I'm still figuring it out, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. just HOW tidy is your room ? !! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you joined in. Lovely projects.
    Ana BC

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you so much. And I'm also just a learner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The room does come to life with color :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I kind of jumped into blog week at the last minute, too. Couldn't resist the fun company. I have always admired your sense of color in your projects. As you said, color confidence comes with experimentation and practice. Also, a big box of crayons or color pencils help, too. I like to sketch out different color combinations on paper just to see how they look together before starting on a project which requires many colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing how the tiny bit of color brightened up your room! Love it. Color sometimes takes a bit. I like how you balanced out the plum (it didn't sit right with me either) with the pink. What a difference! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the color combinations... You sure are much braver than me...
    lol
    Regards,
    Maru

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would say the one on the right is more like a spectrum of color while the other is a symphony of color. I'm sure you can Google about color. Amy Hendrix suggested that we all have a color wheel and that gray scale to help choose color. Also, on Pinterest, you can find lots of color inspiration via palettes. That can be Googled as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your pillow covers look awesome! In fact, I particularly liked the one you didn't like because the expanding blocks of color really appealed to my love to my love of clean design. And the pillows look great in that space, which is absolutely adorable overall. I've never seen someone make kids toys look like part of a room before but they totally work here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally understand your concern with figuring out colors but I'm excited to read your blog for the first time via blog week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's amazing how others see beauty where we fail to find it - I, too, liked the one on the right better. Go figure. Ultimately, however, you've got to live with it, so choose what appeals to you and damned the color theorists. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a difference the gorgeous coloured blanket makes to the room. The cushions will be a brilliant benefit as well.

    I love how you have added the cream in between each chain (oh I know a technical crotchet term, hopefully used in the right place!) and bringing int the pink definitely works.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't be so hard on yourself! Your doing an amazing job and of course we all have projects we don't totally love. I love the granny with the white dots even without the pink, what pattern is that? I do agree on the whole colour picking thing, it is one of the hardest parts of making a project. But it also makes your project your own. It's a journey and discovering new things is part of that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE your colour choices, and those squares made my mouth water

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am on the band waggon with you :)

    I liked the square on the right best even before the extra round, although I do agree that it balances it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think your colour choices are absolutely super and show a beautiful sort of peace in your work. No I'm not nuts, but your work always looks so serene and peaceful and your colour choices do so much for that.

    Have you considered looking at particular period art plate books to look at the sort of combinations used by (fr'example) burne jones or Rossetti, just to see if in the overall artwork there are any colours that stand out to you as particularly beautiful? I do that sometimes when hunting for different embroidery sill combos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that pattern... and the colours! I'm a complete coward about pink...especially bright pink... I find it a bit scary :) Funny how colour effects us/me isn't it! Hugs, Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad you decided to join the fun! Great first post!! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love colour! Those squares are beautiful, I like the plum and the pink does change the whole look of the square. I love to add colours to a room, everything white, beige and cream can be cold, you need a bit of life in a room. Your striped blanket looks stunning in the room and the cushion covers will be a fabulous punch of colour too :-)
    Lori x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love both the squares.. just gorgeous! Those will add lots of color to your life, won't they? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha ha, I jumped in at the last minute too! Only now do I have time to go back and read what everyone else wrote about. I love the crochet - that last one is gorgeous - I'm not experienced enough with it to understand how you did it, but I love the colour combination and the little flecks of white peeking through. They're going to look lovely in that room when they are finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ha ha, I jumped in at the last minute too! Only now do I have time to go back and read what everyone else wrote about. I love the crochet - that last one is gorgeous - I'm not experienced enough with it to understand how you did it, but I love the colour combination and the little flecks of white peeking through. They're going to look lovely in that room when they are finished :)

    ReplyDelete