Wednesday, 28 March 2012

WIP Wednesday x 2

This week my sister who knits came to stay for a couple of nights bringing her dog Ludo...
It was lovely to see her and she bought a beautiful finished object as a gift for me which I will share on her behalf on Friday as I won't have a finished object of my own by then.

After the girls had been put to bed we enjoyed one of these...
the perfect tipple for the beautiful sunny days we have been having, and got out our WIPs.

I will show you a glimpse of hers as I have no idea what the pattern is (I'll ask if anybody is desperate to know) or how on earth one develops the skills necessary to knit like this...
I am a great admirer of Other People's Knitting, having rarely finished anything more complicated than a very basic scarf myself.  Judging by the furrowed brow and muttering I would have to say that this might not be my sort of crafting though, it all looked a bit stressful, but it does result in some beautiful objects so it is probably worth it.

My own project looks positively rustic in comparison...
but it is absolutely lovely to work on, requiring a little more concentration than my usual projects but growing gratifyingly quickly.  This is fortunate as I need it finished by Sunday for my father's birthday.  It comes from this lovely pattern which is clearly explained step by step and which after a few rounds becomes quite intuitive, allowing faster progress to be made.  I have used the same yarns as for the Jubilee Tea Cosy as I had them in stock, in retrospect I would probably have gone for a cream rather than the parchment but it does have a nice aged look which is appropriate.  I know it won't be finished by Friday but I will definitely have it done by the following week.

There will be lots of lovely projects at Tami's blog, see you there.


18 comments:

  1. What great projects. Wow that your sister can knit lace that fine! Love the Union Jack, good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que tricô mais delicado.
    Parabéns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those G and T's look wonderful, so does the lovely Ludo and your Sister's Lacy knitting, but your Union Jack is best of all, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sisters knitting looks amazing, but very very complicated!! It's so delicate looking.

    I LOVE your Union Jack cushion. What a fantastic pattern, and a great gift for a man. Those g & t's are the perfect refreshment to enjoy with crochet and sunny evenings!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally loving the Union Jack! [I'm an unfortunate American who frequently wishes I lived in the UK]
    Sounds like you had a lovely time with your sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the tea cozy, I can't wait to see it finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe. I'm jealous. I wish I was spending time with my sister and having as lovely a time as the two of you seem to be! Both your WIPs look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what your sis did looks very intricate. Not sure if I would have the patience for it, but it looks ace.
    I am totally head over heels over your Union Flag (it is only a Union Jack when it is flown off a ship... juss sayin')though - it's FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, I know, it doesn't bother me particularly when people get it wrong but it gives my husband high blood pressure!

      Delete
  9. I think both projects are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd recommend trying a lacy shawl pattern at least once. It feels like you've done a magic trick once it's done, but that being said I don't have the patience to do that sort of thing any more than occasionally. I LOVE your cushion cover! Hopefully your Dad will too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reminds me of the g&t my friend used to drink when we were students in London. I can't drink as I am allergic to alcohol but g&ts sure look pretty.
    Your sister's knitting is so delicate, I'm sure it will be worth it when it metamorphosises into a golden shawl.
    Love the colours in your crochet too. Looking forward to see how it turns into a tea cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen the Union flag done before and would love to do one. I tried to find the pattern, even to buy, on the link you gave, but was unable to find it. Would love to see it done! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too admire knitters, and would LOVE to be able to do that intricate work, but all the bajillions of stitches, and the charts put me off. Crochet seems much more intuitive to me, love your union jack!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving both yours and your sisters work and the dog is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crochet woth Raymond29 March 2012 at 00:48

    I have just found your blog and I adore it, will make sure I come back to have a good look through on the weekend and get lots of much needed inspiration :O)
    Your sister is the goddess of lace knitting *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow your sisters lace knitting is amazing...I was really impressed when you showed her socks, but that's even more amazing!

    Love your flag, I looked into making one ages ago as a cushion, but didn't find any decent patterns so I must look at it again.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Union Jack is going to be a pillow yeah from what I recall? It's so bold and sturdy looking. He'll love it.

    My, my...your sis has such patience to work w/looks like lace weight yarn? Oh boy! I don't know if I could work w/something skinnier than sock yarn.

    ReplyDelete