Friday, 23 March 2012

FO Friday

Thank you all so much for the encouraging comments about my Jameson, I derive so much pleasure from reading them while I have my morning cup of tea.  You are all so wise in the ways of yarncraft and I really appreciate your advice and thoughtfulness.

Today I have two FOs to share with you, two decorative mats both made from my sister's left over sock yarn (thank goodness the women in my family have small feet)...
Indian Rose Zauberball Jameson...
This one is my favourite because I adore these pink and purple tones.  It is also causing out and out warfare between my daughters.

Little Fox Zauberball Jameson...
which is also a lovely blend of colours but doesn't fit in quite so well with my decorations, such as they are. Both used well under 40g of sock yarn but I do crochet very tightly.  The Indian Rose is slightly bigger because I used a 3.5 mm hook rather than a 3 mm, this also helped it to lie flat, though they did need proper blocking.

It must be said that I am quite ridiculously pleased with them, I love how they show off the lingering colour changes of the Zauberballs and I enjoyed every single stitch.  The pattern is free, quite easy (though with counting involved of course) and I think it is very pretty.  I added an extra round at the end to get more of a tipped flower petal effect. They brighten up any surface I put them on and, whilst I wouldn't put my steaming La Creuset casserole dish down on them, they are well up to the job of a plant pot, vase or glass of wine.  As they are in sock yarn they are also washable.  They definitely make me feel I am on my way to a Pretty Crafty Home, though my progress on that is very slow at the moment.

Now, I really must move on from Jamesons and think about my father's birthday present.  I am considering having a go at this for the sofa in his study, I love all things Royal Sisters.

I love going over to Tami's blog to see what people have been making this week, maybe I'll see some of you over there!


28 comments:

  1. They're already finished?! Fast! I love them both but I really adore the orange/blue one, it's so bohemian looking. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really quick actually Suzanne, but also a little addictive in a "just one more round" sort of way.

      Delete
  2. They look stunning, so gorgeous. And definitely not doily-like ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they are such a joy to make, especially in this lovely yarn.

      Delete
  3. The 'mats' are so pretty. Pink and purple are my favorite colors, however the orangish one is amazing. I am currently making that Royal Sisters pattern too. Popular right now I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these! I have had this pattern in my faves at Ravelry for a long time. Now I am motivated to make them. Yours are beautiful!
    (((Hugs)))
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindo, lindo.
    Parabéns.
    Beijo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. H, they're *gorgeous*!!! And I can completely understand the out and out warfare between L & B over the pink/purple one...

    Was thinking yesterday, that another "thing" you could do to display them, was put them on a wall somewhere...?

    xL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow oh wow I love your mats! I think the colours of both of them are outstanding, and you have every right to be pleased to bits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty mats, a lovely twist on the traditional white, ivory and cream doilies. I love the union Jack cushion too. You are making some lovely projects. I think you may have to buy some yarn to settle the Mat wars between your girls...that one is Mom's and you make two identical ones. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! These are gorgeous! I have a ton of leftover sock yarn, thank you for the inspiration! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh...I love them both, such awesome colors. Scrolled down to read your answer regarding what a table mat is. I find in blog walking, we all call things different names and sometimes, I don't know what people are referring to. I would call them a Dollie, if used under flowers etc. But, an idea just popped in my head. Not sure how many you're going to make but...wouldn't they be gorgeous on a white table cloth as placemats under your dishes? Or even framed in like a shadow box hanging on the wall...you know like people hang pretty dishes in the dining room?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I can wait to see the Union Jack pillow! Perfect Dad gift, I think! I had a look at the link to the Royal Sisters and now I want to make everything they've designed. Soooo tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are just beautiful! the colours come out wonderfully, and they'd brighten up any table. You could frame them and put them on the wall, and they'd look gorgeous too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an excellent way to use sock yarn. It really lets you see how the colours work and is something that I will definitely will be doing (having bought the sock yarn but too afraid to make the socks for fear of them being different sizes!!). Thanks for the imspiration!

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely gorgeous - I think I may need to do the same with my left overs. Thanks so much for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are gorgeous! Looks like a great way to use up leftover sock yarn, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice. I like the pink one bestest I think! I have a soft spot for pink! Such a great idea for left over sock yarn too :)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful colors. Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did a great job on both! :O) I esp love the top one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When I saw your blogger name in my comments today, I immediately thought, "I know her! I found her through Teresa last weekend!" Ha! And that's how you found me! Thanks Teresa! Such a good hostess, she is- what with the fine introduction! Mind you, I visited you last weekend, but I was the shy sort and didn't say anything. I LOVE these colorful creations of yours! Sock yarn, eh? I have a few stashes of that around the house. I bought it to make hats and muffler for eensy teensy snowmen that were all the rage for me about a year ago...but then got distracted and haven't returned to them! Thanks for your visit to my "place" - and so nice of you to leave a comment! Glad to meet you! Annette

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are both absolutely gorgeous! That is so neat the girls are fighting over my favorite of the two.. nice that your girls appreciate your crafty efforts. I've also admired that Union Jack.. if you make it I can't wait to see it and hear how it goes. I wonder which Teresa that Annette is referring to? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. they are stunning and the colour are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are simply gorgeous!! They look so complicated, but you have made the process seem easy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow they are stunning! Who says doilies have to be white :-)I agree the pink and purple is my fave too, I'd be fighting over it as well! I love bright colour and they do show off the colours so well.
    Lori xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow, they are so beautiful! They really do show off the Zauberball colour changes wonderfully, especially the Indian Rose.

    ReplyDelete