Wednesday, 21 March 2012

A confessional WIP Wednesday: It's a mat OK?

I have a sister who knits, often she chooses to knit socks.  They are beautiful and I would happily receive a pair for every birthday and Christmas for the next ten years.  This would have the additional benefit that she would give me all the left over half skeins to stroke and sigh over and marvel at the colours...
I appreciate this very much, especially as I am on a strict yarn diet and am trying desperately hard not to buy any yarn at all unless it is for presents or to finish off unfinished projects.

Unfortunately my knitting is poor and slow which - coupled with an incredibly low boredom threshold - means I will never make a hexipuff, even though they would knit up beautifully.  I have been mulling over what to do with them for ages until this week I focussed in on one particularly beautiful half skein.....
and decided to turn it into a mat for the table...
It was only when I reached this point that I realised others might think I was crocheting a doily.  I do not consider myself a doily person, therefore I am going to continue to assert that it is a mat.  I know that the Jameson pattern I am using comes up when you enter doily into Ravelry, because I tried it just to see. Nevertheless the pattern is just lovely to work, I am completely smitten and if I am lurching into the realms of bad taste then I apologise but I LOVE them.  I say them because I have already finished one in a different yarn and should therefore have two completed to show you on Friday.  I am seriously considering turning all future remnants of sock yarn into 'mats' as well.  Only those with the long colour repeats though, I'm not big on the splotchy look crochet gives short colour changes.

So, this week I have moved from tea cosies to doilies.  I do occasionally crochet things which other people might conceivably want in their houses, really I do.

Why not pop over to Tami's blog?  There will be plenty of people not making doilies there I promise.

X

21 comments:

  1. Your mat looks gorgeous :) If you made a lot, you could always link them together into a fabulous table runner.

    I think of doilies as generally white or cream, yours definitely looks more like a table mat to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a great idea, hmmm, I'll have to give that one some serious consideration.

      Delete
  2. oooh your mat is lovely, I love the colours - and those other balls of yarn are just fabulous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am very lucky to have a knitting sister who is averse to scraps!

      Delete
  3. Lovely, lovely mat! The colours are beautiful. You are lucky to have such a great sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it was a big doily in a heavier yarn, I would definitely call it a mat. Like a placemat! I think it looks lovely! I'm excited to see the FOs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure what a mat for a table is? Do you mean placemat? It doesn't seem solid enough to protect the table from heat and cold etc. Or do you mean as a decoration? I love the look and the colors, just not understanding how you're using it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be mostly decorative, like maybe under a vase of flowers on a nicely set table. I know it wouldn't work under a hot saucepan or anything!
      I don't really understand how I'm going to use it either at the moment, but the process of making them is such fun that perhaps it doesn't really matter!

      Delete
  6. I love the colours of your mat. I could see it as a centre piece under a vase of fresh flowers :-D

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you were firm about how this is a mat and not a doily. I think the yarns you'll be using really gives a modern day touch to this pattern and makes it really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you say it's a mat, then I guess so. Certainly not your grandma's doily kind of colours! There are lots of things to use sock yarn for ... right now I'm knitting socks using leftovers for the colourwork. There are also lots of nice mitten patterns that use sock yarn as the contrast colour for a light or dark solid main colour ... I'm thinking fiddlehead mitts now. Oh, and if you hold it double it's DK!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty! I love Natalie's table runner idea. Your sister has great taste in yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty! I think you should call it a 'mandala' :)

    I crocheted myself a rainbow one for my teapot to sit on in my office at work :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, maybe it's a mandala, that's an idea. Or maybe I should just call it a funky doily and have done with it. I remember your lovely mandala actually, I'm sure I've seen it on Ravelry (in the Attic24 group maybe?)

      Delete
  11. OOOO So many options! I LOVE Zauberballs! The colors blow my mind! I recently knit with my first and was constantly amused with the fabric it produces!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks awesome. the yarn is perfect for the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it and there is nothing wrong with doily projects! The colors make it a beautiful project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mat is lovely....mind I am one of those people who finding the arms on my sofa wearing thin a while back, decided to make some (fabric) arm cover thingys....d'you know the ones? I haven't made the tea-towelly lace things to hang on the back though, and don't intend to......do I pass?

    I wish I had a sock knitting sister, to be honest if I did, I think I wouldn't b able to resist the hexipuffs, or one of those knitted blankets made out of little squares...so maybe it's a good thing......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to know I am not alone, I must confess though that I bought a sofa with those already on! They've been a blessing with kids and a cat.

      Delete
  15. That is so pretty! I was very taken with the colors in those balls.. twisty pretty brights.. nice!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete