Sunday, 26 February 2012

Lurgy Crochet

This orchid sprung back to life almost overnight it seemed this week.  I'm not much of a plant girl really (not like lots of you clever people) but the exquisite detail of these flowers made me pause for thought and reflection so I thought I would pop them on my blog to remember in the future.  A fortnight ago this looked like a pot of dead twigs, now it is utterly, delicately beautiful.

I've been a little quiet on here of late because I seem to have picked up some sort of virus.  It was more extreme lethargy and a headache than anything else but it left me feeling pretty low.  I seem to manage an hour of activity followed by a two hour rest on the sofa.  Lots of snuggly reading books and sofa games like Guess Who have dominated my weekend, I haven't even really been out to enjoy this beautiful weather, though the girls have been playing in the garden and out on bikes so they at least are benefitting.

Some of the time has been spent tackling this months 2012BAMCAL squares and making some ruthless decisions as regards my limited craft time.  I had intended to make two blankets in different colours but have now abandoned the mushy coloured one as it really wasn't very nice.  I could have saved myself hours of time by knocking up a Granny Square of these colours before I began, I think I would have realised that they didn't work if only I had, so there's a lesson for next year.

Anyway, here are this months squares in the colours I am going to finish the blanket in.  MrHT really doesn't like these colours either, but I'm quite taken with them as they are very jolly.  The pink is a bit of an eyesore I admit (it doesn't really show up in the photos as it does in reality, this may be fortunate) but nevertheless I'm going to complete the project.  I am learning masses by making these squares.  This one taught me FPDC and BPDC (American terms), and I rather like it...
The next one taught me so many things.  Do not crochet complex patterns when flat out on the sofa with a virus, do not attempt fiddly motifs with dark colours in the evening (that heart was originally purple), count, count and count again, read the instructions properly for each row, count once more, don't give up, it doesn't have to be perfect.  It isn't perfect, it's full of errors, but it's done and I may not use it but I finished it.  It was hard and I didn't really enjoy it, I'm not much of a heart person but some people's are stunning so I thought I would give it a go.
Lessons noted.  I don't feel inclined to do it again at all, though I might feel differently when I'm better.  As I said, other people's are fabulous so don't let me put you off.

And here is the project so far, minus the heart, which is blocking (it's very wonky because I went very wrong)...
Right, I'm going back to the sofa with a cuppa.  I think I'll try and use my sofa time productively to finish off those African Flowers.

Have a lovely Sunday.

7 comments:

  1. That virus seems to be hitting on both continents. I love your squares, that heart is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you're so ill. Glad you got in some hookin' time. Neon, 80s pink! LOL! The squares are cool tho. They each have great character and awesome design. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a crazy pink, and I'd never wear it or anything, but it makes me smile so that's cool! Thanks.

      Delete
  3. It is wonderful how plants can bounce back when they are nurtured. Hope you get better, although your squares are looking amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you've been feeling low. Ugh.. but that gorgeous flower should do the trick to perk you up! Now of course I want an orchid. Do they like sun? Awesome crochet you're doing! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I know almost nothing about plants Teresa (I'm learning a bit from your lovely blog though), I kept my orchid on a cool windowsill during the winter months, now it is on a windowsill which doesn't get direct sunlight but is in a warmer room. It seems to be doing well and is actually quite hardy.

      Delete