Thursday, 5 January 2012

The Last Day of Christmas

Just a quick post to show some lovely presents that came to us in Hilly Town this Christmas.  When the crafting bug hit me (after and absence of about 20 years) a couple of years ago the thing that set it off was quilting.  I was longing to make quilts.  Unfortunately I only ever made one quilt top, and that is all it is, just a top, no wadding or backing or anything like that.  The main reason for this was the pins.  I couldn't leave the quilting out because of my little ones and so a good half of my precious craft time was being used setting up. Fortunately I managed to teach myself to crochet and I am more than happy to carry on with that, but in the mean time my Mother in Law has become a quilting legend.

For Christmas my little girls received these beauties...



They are so lucky to have these to treasure, aren't they gorgeous?  I have to say that I was very relieved when she told me she was making them because it took the pressure off me to produce their blankets in time for Christmas, I am now aiming for Easter.

Here is a little of the detail from the edge...


They really are fabulous.

The girls weren't the only ones to get lucky though, M in L arrived on Christmas Day with six little packages containing these..

Strictly speaking there was one each but I am keeping hold of them all, just for safety's sake you understand. One day I will try quilting again but for now I've got so many exciting projects in my mind which hardly involve any pins at all that I'm happy to let it wait for a few years.

Tomorrow the tree will come down and that is the end of Christmas for another year.  I hope it was a peaceful and happy one for you all, I'm looking forward to hearing all about this year's adventures, crafty and otherwise, over the next twelve months.

19 comments:

  1. They are lovely quilts ~ my favourite is the pink one, your Mum in Law must be a very talented lady:O).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those quilts are really nice. I have the same problem finishing my big One-a-day blanket. It is so big now I have to wait till I am the only one around so that I can put it on the floor to sew it together. Lol. I hope to finish it soon though, since all the squares are done. Just the dreaded sewing together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lovely what a telented sister in law and mother in law we have .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilts! what a talented MIL you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good golly these are gorgeous!!! I'm so jealous of your awesome sewing skills!
    I'm currently slowly learning. My mum tried to teach me how to make this top long ago and boy she lost me far, far away. So I'm starting over and trying out pajama bottoms...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, so beautiful! I would love to learn to quilt and sew but I have so much knitting and crocheting I want to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are all wonderful.. you are so lucky to have a MIL that makes things like that for you all!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super quilts, the girls will treasure those.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mil is a quilter too and has made amazing quilts for my boys. I would like to learn to do it too, but to be honest it will have to get in queue with everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quilting is such a wonderful craft. I'm not much of a sewer so I won't go there but I would love to have one of those on my bed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mil is very talented, those quilts and placemats are gorgeous. I really want to get to try some quilting, but I've not really got anywhere to leave it out safely either. Its on my 'give a it a go' list!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. such beautiful quilts and gifts. your so lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are beautiful Hilly, it is a shame that you couldn't do it yourself because of safety...maybe you can do it when the little ones are older?

    The placemats are adorable, quilting is something I Have never thought of.....but I am terrible with a sewing machine :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice. Quilting is one craft I have still not tried. I don't think I have the patience. They are so beautiful though, would love to try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those quilts are lovely. What precious gifts. I have several quils started and none finished!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Hilly! Wow... send your MIL to me...I haven't got one anymore and I would love a crafty one! Those quilts will be true family heirlooms won't they...handed down for generations with pride! Quilts just get better and softer with age too! The placemats are beautiful too... she should sell them on Folksy or somewhere.. I would buy a set!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow, those quilts are amazing, I would love to be able to do something like that, they are pretty. Something to treasure for years to come.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are gorgeous! Your girls (and you!) are very lucky to have a quilting talent for a MIL. I love the bright happy colors and the placement of the patterns. I have several patchwork and quilting books in my craftbook collection and dream of someday learning how to make a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful quilts - how lucky you (and the girls) are! Thy look stunning in their bedrooms.

    S x

    ReplyDelete