Monday, 2 January 2012

Joining New Ravelry Groups and a WIP

I recently carried out a New Year sort out of my Ravelry Groups.  This involved leaving a few groups which were very inactive and joining a few more.  In particular I joined two which involve CALs (Crochet Alongs), one of which was the Crochet Shoulder Wrapper group.

The January CAL was the lovely Anna's Shawl, a free pattern and really quite simple.  The yarn I had in my stash which I felt lent itself to the project was the King Cole Riot I had been using for my Hitchiker.  This means that at some point in the next few days I am going to frog my Hitchiker.  I am fine with this because I am not enjoying working on it.  I have decided to be much more willing to frog projects which aren't ever going to hold my attention, some of the yarns I have sitting around in plastic bags attached to projects which I have lost interest in are just too nice to waste.  This is one of those times.

The light here has been awful for days so it is yet another rubbish picture but here is the project so far...


I know it doesn't look like much but I am convinced (!) that it will straighten up once I've blocked it.  It's a very simple make, perfect for catching up on the Christmas Doctor Who and the Sherlock I missed on Sunday night. Having said that I started it and frogged it at least four times, I'm not really sure why except that my first effort had an even curlier straight edge because I was doing something funny with the turning chains.  Now I am doing two turning chains at the end of each row instead of one and it seems a little better.  This yarn does not like to be frogged and I had to discard quite a bit.  I've saved those bits up and will put the effort into unpicking them if I need a few extra metres at the end.

I'll be popping around a few of the other blogs who have linked up with Tami's Ami's to see what they are up to later on today.  I'm sure there will be lots of New Year inspiration to be found.

14 comments:

  1. It is very pretty!! I reckon it will be fine after blocking, as long as you keep your determination for finishing it he he.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just beautiful! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea to frog if you're not enjoying Hitchhiker. I love KALs and CALs - they really keep me focussed and inspired. Looks pretty even to me, so I'm sure blocking will take care of the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is coming along nicely, blocking works magic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job with Anna's Shawl! If I find the right yarn, I'm going to start it, but I just love watching everyone else's FOs because there is just so much variety :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That yarn looks lovely, it's going to be a great shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the colours look fab. Good luck with getting it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on the New Years sorting! I just did the same thing with my blog following. Glad to hear you're turning something you're not enjoying int something you love. It looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's really neat how that yarn is hookin' up. Love the colors and you're doing a wonderful job on it!
    The pic was great - good light.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colors are great, and I fully support frogging an unloved project to make something useful in a beautiful yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to make the Hitchhiker, but now I am rethinking that plan. The yarn looks delicious, can't wait to see final results
    willow4

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty pattern for that yarn. I love how it shows off the colors to their best advantage. I wish that you can send some of that sorting energy my way!

    ReplyDelete