Wednesday, 28 December 2011

Bye Bye Christmas, you were lovely.

So it's over for another year.  I have to say that when I was a child I could never understand why my mother seemed so frazzled at Christmas.  "Christmas," I thought to myself in my childish way, "is fun, what on earth is the problem???"  Well, it's amazing how much better we understand out mothers as we get older.  I have had a wonderful few days, beautiful presents, fabulous food, but now we are all exhausted.  I haven't even got the energy to turn off cbeebies, to be honest I think that a morning of time wasting in front of the tv might be just what my little princesses need.


Onwards ever onwards, I have a finished object to share, my Christmas shawl.  It did not get finished in time for Christmas or even Boxing Day but I am very pleased with it.  It is from this pattern and uses King Cole Galaxy in red.  I was pleasantly surprised how easy this yarn was to crochet with, sequins and all.  In the end I used three full balls.  I didn't block because I liked the density of the pattern as it was and I did not bother with the very last row of the pattern because I tried it and felt it was unnecessary, especially as it would have meant starting a whole new ball.


If I might gush for a minute, the South Bay Shawlette pattern is completely lovely.  It is easy to follow, just interesting enough without meaning that I either got bored or could not watch TV while doing it.  I honestly enjoyed every single stitch.  It does require some attention, I had to unpick two whole rows quite near the end because I was foolish enough to try and make it while suffering from a stinking cold.  This was a horrible task not so much because the work was wasted as because the Galaxy was a nightmare to unpick and I lost a few of the sequins in the process and had to break the yarn in one place.  The pattern itself was a joy though and so pretty.  If you have ever vaguely considered making a shawl I would give this one a go.  The diagram is self explanatory to those of us with even the most rudimentary knowledge of how to read them, far easier to follow than the written pattern.


I did ask Mr HT to take a picture of me wearing it but L looks so much better that I thought I'd use this one instead.  Bless her, she did not receive her two front teeth for Christmas but she and her sister seemed happy nevertheless.

5 comments:

  1. The shawl is really pretty. It looks soft. I am really enjoying this time when there are no more gifts to make and my work is closed of the holidays. Very relaxing and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful shawl ~ I love the colour and all the sequins make it really pretty too :O)x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your shawl! and you have inspired me to attempt a crocheted shawl now. Beautiful colour with the sparkles too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, beautiful shawl. I love the sequins, I would have always avoided using any yarns like that but after seeing the finished item i'd definitely use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks super, I think I might have to give that yarn a go, the sequins are pretty but nicely subtle

    ReplyDelete