Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Why My One A Day Is "Resting"...

I feel a bit of a fraud for adding this to the One A Day linky on Carole's wonderful blog but I just wanted to let the lovely people over there know that I have had to "rest" my One A Day project for the moment to concentrate on my Christmas Crafts.  This year I am planning to make most of my presents, I showed the first completed one in my last post.  I suppose that the children in my family will require some money / plastic tat but the rest of them will be receiving handmade loveliness whether they like it or not.  Even the men.  I'm not sure what I am going to do for them yet though.


Anyway, I would just like to show you my Disaster Bag (details here).  I started this in the hope that the Paton's Smoothie would make a good (cheap) alternative to the King Cole Bamboo Cotton but it didn't frankly.  I quite like it though and it's the perfect build for a project bag so that is what it has become.  I winged the thick strap but actually it's good because I can sling it over my shoulder for crochet group and it's comfy to carry.  It also meant that I didn't waste a scrap of the smoothie, I just kept lengthening the strap until it was all used.


Nestled in the second picture you can see some of the yarn I will be using for the Christmas presents.  I seem to have an obsession with the King Cole at the moment but it suits my tight gauge because it is comparatively fine, my favourite LYS stocks lots of it and I like the colours.  You can just see a little glimpse of my owl brooch displayed on the bag.  It was left to me by my God-mother and Great Aunt who died a couple of months ago and I think I will keep it on there, at least for now, to remind me of her.  I've got a little needlecase which belonged to my Grandmother which gets almost daily use now as well.  I'd love to have something from my other Grandmother to remind me of her when I craft but I have nothing like that at the moment, though I am fortunate to have some other things of hers.  I wish I had treasured my old ladies more, I really do.

And finally, I just wanted to show you a picture of my little crochet patch.  I got my project out last night, went off to get a beer, and when I came back I was really pleased at how inviting and cosy it looked...


I will be interested to see how the others are getting on with their One A Days today, am I the only one who has had to temporarily jump ship to concentrate on my Christmas Crafting?

16 comments:

  1. That is lovely looking, even if its ended up as your own crochet bag. It is certainly a lovely colour of wool too :)

    Your crochet patch looks indeed cosy, my crochet space is somewhat cluttered looking compared to this he he.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohhh it does look neat and cosy and I'm sure with a beer there you were more than content. I came across this the other day for men it might help you out http://www.artlikebread.com/2011/10/christmas-crafting-20-masculine-crochet.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FYDHqq+%28Art%2C+Like+Bread%29 and also on raverly there is this pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/incognito hope they help xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not the only one, there is so much to make for the holidays. I love that bag and I think I am going to make one. I have a huge amount of cotton denim yarn that I think will look great and I also have a brooch I have wanted to use on one of my bags. After all the presents are made I will treat myself to this bag. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had to neglect my blanket this week and think it will be on hold till after christmas. I seem to have generated a rather large to do list!
    I love your bag, it's great when you can turn a disaster into a fab item.
    It so nice that you have so many things that your family members have passed down that you use everyday.It helps to keep their memories alive and in your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The project bag is lovely, and the shot of it with all your gift yarns is really beautiful. I am liking KC Riot here too although I have too many projects planned using other yarns so I won't be using it for a while.
    Concentrating on your crafty makes is a good idea, craft is fun, not a chore with challenges to adhere too :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!
    Love your bag! Looks like it has lots of room for everything. Your cozy spot does look cozy. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought
    http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2011/11/one-day-project-tuesdays-tallies_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bag, very nice. I've used Patons Smoothie before and quite liked it, what was it you didn't like?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not at all, my project has been very badly neglected lately and I don't even have Christmas gifts to blame. I just got distracted by the shiny and new :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are spot on with your gift giving I reckon, it's only the older kids I'm not making fo really, but the littlies will have a homemade something. I'm not sure I actually care too much. I know that far more effort has gone into making than would have gone in sittn in front of amazon ordering things! I am doing som joint couple presents, like my one a day blanket, that way I don't hav to do 'man' presents!

    Your bag looks great and it's lovely to have that constant reminder of your Aunt and Grandmother. The owl brooch is very sweet.

    Your crochet corner looks lovely, but you can hold th beer, mines a cider or a nice glass of red.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooof... lovely bag! I shall be following the link (thank you) immediately...Well done you for determining to make most of your Christmas presents...I am playing with the idea of doing that, but not sure what reception i'll get :)x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesomeness going on in that bag there.

    I am forgoing Xmas gifts but there are a few gifts I want to knit up. My One-a-Day has been put aside b/c I did that poll and it gave me time to concentrate on my Monkey sock.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post... the bright red bag.. that you love your old ladies (as I am one) :-)... and that you're making all your gifts. Love love love it. Do you have room on that sofa for a friend to crochet with? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your bag, its just gorgeous!!! And your little spot is sweet too... Id like to relax there with a little hooky!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What a great bag. It's so cute. I like your crochet spot, very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christmas is definitely looming but luckily my ripple is also a present so it's still on the go! Along with all the other presents I'm making - busy times! That's a great bag though and it's lovely to hear about your old ladies. I'm lucky enough to still have both my Gran and Grandma, both inspired me to craft, Judy xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thats a lovely bag. I know what you mean about taking a break for christmas presents. Juggling all the WIP's is become more and more difficult. I love King Cole yarn too, I think its lovely to work with and the colours are fab.

    ReplyDelete