Sunday, 20 November 2011

Christmas Cometh.

Hello, thank you so much for the suggestions for Christmas ideas which lots of you kindly left me on an earlier post, there were some great ideas there for me to follow up.  Real life has been ever so busy the last couple of weeks with Mr HT having some time off and all of us going down with colds.  My little blog has been a bit neglected, but with Christmas coming up I'm going to be very busy making things so I'll have lots to share.  I don't think anybody in my family reads my blog (I'm sure if they did they would be unable to resist telling me about it) so I'm quite safe, though I won't be saying what is for who.

Yesterday we had to go into Cheltenham for L's eye test.  It was awful, just thousands and thousands of people, the shops piled high with nasty things and a Christmas procession which involved walking from shopping centre to shopping centre ( I suspect so that everybody knows where to find them for future purchases) to see the lights being turned on. We love Cheltenham usually but I am so glad I've limited the time I have to spend at the shops by deciding on a handmade Christmas, at least in part.  Next time I feel the need to Christmas shop I will get a cup of tea, grab the nearest craft implement and get on with it!  Any future purchases will be made in Hilly Town during the week.


So far I have made this bag using the excellent Provence Market Bag pattern.  I highly recommend the pattern, it was easy and came out very pretty indeed.  I think lots of ladies would like one of these under their tree and I am sure it could be made in a day.  I used King Cole Bamboo Cotton in Cobalt 525 and it is a lovely yarn.  Like the other King Cole yarn I have used it has great stitch definition, the sheen is perfect for this project and the yardage is excellent, I used just over a ball for this bag.  As you can see I have two other colours of this for two other bags and there will be plenty left for at least one stripy one as well.

Even though the pattern was very simple I did have one disaster when I inadvertently turned it inside out and did a whole evenings work on it before I noticed...


See how the top two rows are all lumpy?  Still, it was such a pleasure to work on that I didn't mind too much.  I'd been hoping to make a little embellishment for it using the 100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet book which other people use to such lovely effect but I don't seem to have much success with them for some reason so I might make some little felt embellishments instead.  Then a quick steam press and it will all be finished.  It's lovely to work with natural fibres for a change.


I've also been working on this bag but am running out of yarn so will either have to buy some more (which I don't want to do) or pull it back a bit to finish it off.  This was meant for a present as well but I think I'm going to keep it for a project bag because I love it but I think the people I am making the bags for would prefer the pretty, delicate King Cole ones that they can keep in their real handbags.  It's made from Paton's Smoothie which is a much less expensive yarn and very robust but not as drapey and shimmery as the Bamboo Cotton.  I don't think it has the same wow factor but it does give a much more solid finish.  I used the base from the Provence Summer String Bag above because I couldn't get the one in the pattern to work and it would have been huge anyway, the body of this Lacy V pattern and I will improvise some straps today.

There's another project underway which is earmarked to be finished on wednesday morning when I have some time to myself in daylight, it requires a level of concentration I only have during the day.

I hope you are all getting on well with you seasonal crafts, I'm beginning to see lots of of lovely bits and pieces popping up on peoples blogs, it makes me quite excited!  May the force of craft be with you.

10 comments:

  1. Hello
    I have just found your blog and must say how much I love the bag you crocheted, beautiful colour and something vintage about the way it looks. Thanks for the link xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bags, the shells or fans(?) look so pretty in the first one and the colour is lovely. Could you do a different colour band at the top of the one you intend to keep? A cream band and handles might look alright I reckon?

    Love working in cotton, I love the stitch definition and find wooly things a bit disappointing to look at after using cotton. I've not used king cole bu loads of people go on about it, I'll have to look it out.

    Look forward to seeing your other projects soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bags look lovely. I don't lik cotton to knit with but do for crochet.
    Love that little hand trying to sneak in....
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous bag, absolutely gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable bag and colour.

    I know what you mean about Cheltenham on Saturday it was so busy we just went to the library, bank and home. But I did wish I'd taken my camera to get some festive shots of the Christmas stalls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable bag and colour.

    I know what you mean about Cheltenham on Saturday it was so busy we just went to the library, bank and home. But I did wish I'd taken my camera to get some festive shots of the Christmas stalls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable bag and colour.

    I know what you mean about Cheltenham on Saturday it was so busy we just went to the library, bank and home. But I did wish I'd taken my camera to get some festive shots of the Christmas stalls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Christmas crafting will be on hold until our Thanksgiving dinner is over, this Thursday - then I can get into my Christmas whole-heartedly!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cold dark days are so perfect for knitting and crochet. Looks like you are going fast with Christmas projects, I should keep up haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These bags are tremendously awesome!!! Cool, bright colors and great work!

    ReplyDelete