Saturday, 15 October 2011

Hoorah!

Hello lovely people.  Sorry for the late FO Friday post, I was having trouble getting decent photos and though it would be best to wait.  It has been a momentous week in our house this week.  L has lost one of her front teeth....



I have applied for a job (scary) and I am very happy to have a finished object to share this sunny Friday afternoon.  I have finally liberated my Granny Stripe from its heap in the living room where it has been whimpering at me quietly for several months.  As you can see from the above picture it is now happily taking its rightful place in our family life.

This project has been under construction for a whopping 10 and a bit months, poor old thing.  We had a bit of a falling out about 3/4 of the way through but when I dragged it out again I realised that as it was no longer for a bed but for the sofa it was nearly finished.  Had I made it any bigger it would just have trailed all over the floor getting covered in dog hair.


If I am being scrupulously honest I must admit to not being totally thrilled with my border.  It's the first one I've ever done and looks a bit raggedy.  However I am going to leave it for now and see if it disturbs me in the long term.  Overall I am very proud of it, it's the first large project I have ever finished.  All credit must go to Lucy at Attic24 for a beautiful pattern and wonderful colour choices.  Thank you Lucy.

I have learnt such a lot about colour through this project, when I make another one I will probably even be brave enough to choose colours all on my own.  Learning to use colour for pleasant results is by far the hardest thing about yarn crafts in my humble opinion.

All technical details are on my ravelry project page.

For lots of inspiration Tami's Amis is the place to be.

19 comments:

  1. I totally agree on the color choose decisions. I also think it is one of the hardest things to choose. But it is also one of the most fun parts. It feels so good to have a basket full of new bought yarn!

    The blanket is really pretty and I really like your edge :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That blanket is soooo beautiful!!! And so is the lovely lady in the photo! Good luck with that job, hope it becomes yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely! So lovely!
    Good luck with the job app.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just Beautiful!!! I have done the Ripple and want to do this one as well, when I have the time and the MONEY!!! Fantastic Job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it looks just loverly! 10 and a bit months does not seem so long, I had one going for years once! LOL It was rather large and only tended to get attention in the winter months. Love the toothless shot...simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My middle boy has lost his first tooth this week, I'm very glad because I really don't 'do' teeth and watch him push it out with his Tongue was making me feel a little odd!

    Love your granny and I think the border looks fine. I'm wondering about whether to stop growing mine as it is becomin very big and heavy.....not sure what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Granny Stripe and ADORE your sweet little daughter! Bravo on both. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Well done for finishing it! Before I read your comments about the border i saw it and thought 'oh nice simple border, I like it'. i think it will grow on you :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely blanket, love the colours you've used. Well done on completing such a huge project. Hope you're proud of yourself :)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely blanket and the colours are great. Just over 10 months isn't so bad (say's the mama who started in mmmmm? May ish? and only one quarter through).
    I like the border, very understated :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A momentous week indeed---a lost front tooth is such a big deal! Almost as big a deal as finishing something as huge and beautiful as this blanket, which I'm so envious of. It looks so bright and snuggle-wonderful! I haven't been brave enough yet to start anything this big...

    (And good luck with your job application!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The blanket looks super, congratulations on finishing it. Hope the job application goes well

    ReplyDelete
  13. Colorful and fun and cosy! Just a perfect blanket all around! I want one of my own:)

    And how adorable is your daughter with her missing tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic job and the colors are absolutely awesome!
    Congrats to the princess on loosing her first tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi i have just found your lovely blog and love your crotchet work..... I have just started making a zig zag blanket, hope it turns out as good as yours.. I am now following your blog. love you to take a peep at mine and maybe follow me......xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. your granny stripe blanket is amazing, i am doing a granny stripe at the minute, I think your border is lovely. x Your granny stripe looks very at hope snuggled lovingly around your lil girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. it's so beautiful what a great job, I love my granny stripe it covers our couch cushions and gives a wonderful shot of colour to a beige couch. I chose my own colours and I know what you mean colour choice can be so intimidating, I've learnt to just go with my gut now and most of the time it works out, and I find if I don't like it,it will be someone elses favourite everyone has such different tastes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so lovely, such great colours.

    ReplyDelete