Monday, 19 September 2011

When all else fails, bake.

Not so long ago a large parcel arrived on my doormat.  It was a housewarming present from my lovely parents and contained these fabulous tins ...


Aren't they great?  The biggest one is enormous and the smallest one isn't too tiny either.  Well, obviously tins like these are meant to be filled.  Last Saturday it was raining, the wind was howling, the children were obstreperous and all attempts to entertain them had failed so baking sprung to mind as the perfect way to fill a rapidly disintegrating morning.

Before the morning had passed we had produced these banana and fudge muffins...


and (more importantly) this...


Happy Cake for my F in L's birthday party which we were hosting that evening.  I wish I had thought to take a picture of the black-forest gateau which my M in L had produced for the adults to enjoy because it was divine.

I can only conclude that baking is very therapeutic because before we had even finished weighing and sieving the flour I had two smiling girls.  Within an hour the house smelt of fresh cakes and the sun had emerged meaning that we could go and examine the brilliant Stroud Farmer's Market, an institution which deserves an entry to itself.

I hope that you filled your weekend with something to make you smile.

1 comment:

  1. mmmmmmm fudge muffins! And such a colourful cake!! Ooooh I wish I could have a piece :)

    Baking is quite lovely, I don't do it enough myself!

    ReplyDelete